No announcement yet.

Can I leave house with parent permission at 17 with out being emancipated

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can I leave house with parent permission at 17 with out being emancipated

    Im a 17 year old with a messed up ate dad he really know how to ruin my life bad he controls my mom and everyone in the house but me fears him anything he says to my mom she listens and this guy isn’t even my real dad so I told my mother I have somehwhere to go and live at she saying “ I don’t know if I would get in trouble if I let you go” basically my question is can I leave with my real parent’s permission and live somewhere else and keep in contact with my mother and she’ll still do all my health care and all the things I need but I just won’t be living with her with out being emancipated because it’s to much money and would take long a court told us so I was ruing our ideas so can she do that with out getting intouble with the law

  • #2
    Hi there,
    Thank you for reaching out for help. This sounds like a tough situation at home. It must be hard to see your dad controlling the household like that. You don’t deserve for him to treat you like that.
    It sounds like you have done some research and that’s a really good start. Emancipation can take a long time and can be expensive. That’s great that you have another place to stay already. Some things you want to think about when considering living somewhere else is to make sure you will be safe, if you will have somewhere to sleep, what the expectations of work will be. If your mom agrees to let you live somewhere else it’s called an Alternative Living Arrangement. You could have her write her consent on a piece of paper, then sign and date it. Your mother would still be legally responsible for you, but she won’t get in trouble letting you live somewhere else. And you won’t get in trouble unless your mom calls the police to report you as a runaway. If you want something more legally binding, you can call your local police station to see if there is paperwork your mother and you can fill out.
    Again, we’re really glad that you reached out to us. It takes a lot to ask for help. If you want to talk more about this please call in to our hotline 1-800-786-2929, or chat with us We are here to help 24/7. Good luck
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp