Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I get out of this situation?

Hey, I'm 18 and I need to get out of my home.

I've just finished my first year of college and it didn't go super well for various emotional and mental reasons. My parents made me leave my college (which I chose over my dream college because I was told it was all we could afford) and go to a crappy community college now. They are also telling me I'll have to pay for it on my own because my little brothers education is more important than mine and he starts college next year so they need to save money for him. I only work a part time job that pays $9.50/hour and this is going to be difficult for me to pay, even with what I have saved up.

On top of this they found out that I went to a free concert one morning (a one time occurence) and have put a tracker in my car that reports not only location but even my speed and if I'm idling and all that. I haven't seen anyone outside of my immediate family and workplace in months and I'm about to break down.

The only solution I can see right now is for me to leave. They will be gone August 16-18 and I might be able to get away then once I get the tracker out of my car (which is in my mom's name but it is solely driven by me). There are no other family members I can go to. I have about $7,000 in a savings account and a credit card of theirs that I can use to buy food and other necessities before I go if necessary. I am currently located in NJ but I can make it to anywhere in the continental US.

I have a few questions now that you have the background info. Is there any way to change the car to my name without them? Where is the best place for a homeless person to be? Where can I go where I can work full time and afford a small place to rent and night classes at a college? Should I even attempt to finish college or just go straight into the workforce as an unskilled laborer? Should I steal money/valuables before I leave to sell later for cash? What do I need to bring when I leave? Is there anything else I should know before going?

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you're in a rough spot. Unfortunately, we are not legal experts, or familiar with the laws that affect car owners in your state. Additionally, a lot of the questions you've asked involve us providing you with answers about what you should or shouldn't do, or what is best for you. We are non-directive, so we don't tell people what to do - we instead engage in conversations with our callers and provide information, support, and referrals, that way our callers can make the best decisions for themselves. If you would like to get some assistance, we are always open, and you can contact us at 1-800-786-2929.

Best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X