Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very few options, but want to run away

Hi,

I'm 16, almost 17, I've run away from my emotionally abusive household before, but ended up being returned to my mother after spending some time at a youth shelter as I don't know my father's family and my mom's relatives are out of state so i sucked it up and went back.

In the past I have lived in homes without running water for months at a time. Two whole years of my life were spent in a house like that. We always had the option of going to my mom's relatives (my mom is a freelancer and me and my brother were early teens) but she stayed because apparently the brother who wasn't even talking to us and wanted nothing to do with us was that important. She blamed my brother for our living situation bc he wanted to live close to his girlfriend and somehow a 14 year old's opinion made it impossible to move elsewhere.

My education is horribly neglected, she started homeschooling us because the schools in our area weren't "good enough" but she doesn't really teach us anything. I haven't done any schoolwork since November and that ended with her screaming at me and throwing a fit over me not remembering stuff she taught me years ago.

Just last week, she told me that she was short on rent, and our roommate was also short on rent because her deposits got delayed, and that the landlord was coming the day I got paid, so could I please chip in?

Landlord never showed up, roommate got paid the next day. Meanwhile i had a panic attack and breakdown when there were difficulties cashing my check and gave my mom 300 dollars.

I know she would have asked for more if my check was bigger because she asked how much i was getting before she gave me a number.

After this incident I am tempted to run away again. I also lied to her about what my breakdown was about and when i stated i want medication for my mental illness and just therapy wouldn't cut it, she stated "but if 'just talking' won't fix all your problems why do you want to talk to me more?" And it was very upsetting to have her use my want of a healthy relationship with her to force her opinion on me.

it is a constant mental drain to live with her, but as I stated i have very few options.

Is there anything i can do? I also live in the state of Missouri for any help with laws.

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS and having the strength to share what is going on with you. It sounds like things at home are stressful, especially because so much is demanded of you. You do not deserve this kind of treatment at home, especially from a parent. Home should be an environment in which you feel supported, respected, and loved. We are sorry that you are going through this right now, but please know that you are not alone.

We understand that you may not want to live with your mom anymore, and want you to know that you have options such as petitioning for emancipation in your state (starting at age 16). If you can call in to our hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) available 24/7, or through our Live Chat, we could discuss that option and others in more detail, as well as offer additional resources.

Best of luck and we hope to hear from you soon!

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X