No announcement yet.


  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Abuse

    I am thinking about running away. My mother has made it impossible to speak to any of my family members about my sexual abuse that her at the time fiancé caused upon me. She is still in contact with him to this day, and I can't take it. I don't want to file a police report but I also don't want to stay here. She makes it seem like I can't trust my own thoughts, that I'm crazy, a bother, but is it really insane to not want my mother sleeping with (yes, sex) and interacting with my abuser? It seems cruel but I think this is the only way she will finally understand me and change.

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We're so sorry about what has happened in the past and how it has continue to affect you. You deserve to feel listened to and be safe and happy in your home. If you ever need someone to talk to about the abuse, don't hesitate to reach out to the Rape Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN) at 1-800-656-4673. Having someone to talk to can help, and they are always there to listen and support if you don't feel comfortable talking to friends or family about it.

    Do you have anybody that can advocate for you or be there for you during this difficult time? If not, we are also here. We could also help you have a conversation with your mom about either moving out or about the feelings you are having about her relationship with him. It can be difficult to have a conversation with your mom if she’s unwilling to engage with you or if you feel she won't be on your side. Sometimes it can be helpful to have another adult around when you’re trying to talk to your mom so that they can stand up for you and try to keep the conversation calm and fair. That person could be a guidance counselor, other family member, or any other adult you trust. Here at NRS, we also offer a conference call service and can help you have that conversation with your mom. Our number is 1-800-786-2929. You can call us 24/7.

    We are not legal experts, but we can tell you that if you are a minor, if you leave home and your mom files a runaway report, you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a runaway. Give us a call if you want to go through any other options you have like are listed above or others like emancipation.

    Stay safe,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove