18 and scared to leave but i feel like i should

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 and scared to leave but i feel like i should

I'm 18 years old. Things at home have not been the best for many months; my mom and I constantly fight and she thought that im addicted to drugs because she found sleeping pills in my bag. but i never took it to sleep, it was just for precaution if i couldnt sleep. My family used to be very close but ever since i started dating my boyfriend things have gotten really bad. everyone in my family literally hates him because we had broken up and then we got back together. She believes that he influences to be a rebel which is totally not the case. I've been thinking about leaving home for a long time already. In february is when everything got worse. She took my phone, my laptop, doesnt let me go out with anyone, and took away my driving privileges. My boyfriend and my best friend have stayed in contact after graduation and they are offering me to stay with them if i ever need to. I have a job in which i work from 11:30- 5:30, 5 days of the week. I will also be going to school in august here in my hometown.
    Im scared to leave but i feel like i should because nothing has been good between us since the beginning of the year. And my habits have changed drastically and im trying to prove it to her but nothing works. I think that me leaving for a little bit may give us some space to think about things. Im just terrified of the outcome and im scared that my family might cut me off in every way.
    I just want to be happy and live my life but i still want a relationship with my family. But right now i think we just need space. Any advice?

Hello! Thanks for sharing your story and reaching out!

It sounds like it has been a hard couple of months in your house. It’s understandable that you would want to move out to get your own space and your own freedom. It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into how best to preserve your relationship with family and also what would be best for you.

It sounds like you are being very mature in taking steps towards your future and are working very hard to get there. You are at a point in your life where you have the ability to make decisions for yourself, so you should do whatever you think is the best choice for you.

Before you move out, you might want to think about a few things to secure your safety. You might want to look for a safe place to live and make sure you would be able to pay for all of the expenses you might come across. You might also consider what you would do in an emergency (medical or otherwise).

It might be scary, but if it means that you can be happy and mentally well, then it is probably worth it.

Thanks for being brave enough to ask for help!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X