No announcement yet.

Seventeen and homeless

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Seventeen and homeless

    Short and simple (Not really). I left home and was told by my parents that I am not allowed back. I haven’t been there for roughly six months, and I stayed with a friend originally. I had to leave this house ( The friends ) and was denied entry into my old home. So as a homeless minor with no ability to get my license on my own, or even rent a motel or apartment, I started asking for help, wich is when someone referred me to social services in cass county Missouri. They told me I was SOL finding housing for homeless youth there, but they told me to call a place called west central in raymore. I was also told here that I was SOL, though they told me to call my local police station. I wasn’t sure if they wanted me to call and ask about housing or have my parents arrested (she wasn’t making a lot of sense over the phone). During the non emergency line phone call with Harrisonville Police Department I was told that at 17 I am a legal adult and that again, I was SOL. I just did a google check, and I am not a legal adult at 17 in Missouri. What do I do? I’m actually going hungry and no one seems to care? Is there anyway for me to get help? I just want to live a normal life and have an education. I’m probably to old for state housing right? Anything works, thanks!

  • #2
    Hi, there,
    Thank you so much for reaching out. You do not deserve to be in this situation and we are so sorry to hear that the adults you have turned to were unable to help. We want you to know that care about your well-being, that you have what you need. First, you are correct: you are NOT a legal adult in Missouri (though we are not legal experts, it is a fact that the age of majority in Missouri is 18, not 17). If you need to return home, your local police should return you home to your parents. They cannot simply refuse to take you in as you are a minor; if you need help calling out to the police, please don’t hesitate to call. We can call out with you; it can sometimes be helpful to have someone on the line to advocate on your behalf. Similarly, if you need help reaching out to your parents and having a respectful conversation, we are so happy to help you have that talk. During that conversation, we would be happy to help you talk through what was going on when you left and about the possibility of returning home; we can also talk about what would need to happen for everyone to feel comfortable.
    Regarding food, we encourage you to reach out to any local churches in the area or even fast food restaurants to see if they may be able to spare some food for you. If you feel that you are in immediate danger of starving or need medical attention, we encourage you to call 9-1-1. Regarding housing, there are programs called transitional living programs which are for young adults; these programs are designed to help you get on your feet. According to our database, there are programs “nearby” your county, but you would likely need a ride to get to them. If you’re interested in those resources, please call us (we are not able to give private resources on our forum); our number is 1-800-786-2929 and we’re open 24/7.
    Thank you again for reaching out. We hope this was helpful and we encourage you to reach out by phone if you need additional resources or need help figuring out your options. Our number is 1-800-786-2929 and our lines are always open. If you have a moment, we'd appreciate your feedback of our crisis services at the following link:

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp