Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life advice

Well I just received my LSAT score after hibernating and studying for a few months. It was a paltry 161, my lowest score ever. The very first LSAT I took for practice, I got a 163! I usually score in the mid to high seventies, so needless to say, I am feeling pretty awful.

Anyway, I've been giving this a lot of thought. I currently work at an accounting firm doing pretty well; nobody knows I even took a shot at the LSAT. I'm not sure if I want to stay at the accounting firm I work at now or keep pursuing this law school pipe dream. Is it even worth retaking the LSAT? Or should I just say forget it [edited for language] and concentrate on a career?

Re: Life advice

Hi. Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard. We are glad you chose to write in to us today because it sounds like you are on the cusp of making a pretty big life decision.

From what you wrote, you seem pretty disappointed with how you scored on the LSAT. What score were you hoping for? Did you have a minimum score in mind that you wanted to get on the test?

While we certainly understand how scoring lower than what you hope for can be disappointing, do you believe that 161 is a “bad” score? When you call attending law school a “pipe dream” it seems like you are doubtful that you will be accepted to a law school with a LSAT score of 161. Do we have this correct? Realistically speaking, how do you think your score compares to other prospective applicants? While we are not affiliated with the LSAT and we don’t have any special knowledge about how the tests are scored, from what we could find out, it seems like the majority of LSAT takers score between a 145 and 155. If this is true, it seems like 161 would be considered an above average score. What are your thoughts on that?

Regardless of whether or not you believe your LSAT score to be a “bad” or “good” score, what will you gain if you stop pursuing your dream of attending law school? On the other hand, if you give up on this, what might you lose or miss out on? It seems like getting your score report back has shaken your commitment to law school and even made you question if it is what you want. When you think about your future, what do you see? If you think you might want to one day be a lawyer, it seems like it might be worth the effort to continue with your plans of applying to law school. It seems like if you keep working towards your dream you have so much to gain and nothing to loose. If going to law school isn’t that important to you, then it may make more sense to focus on other possible life paths. We wonder, however, why you would be upset about this if law school wasn’t important to you.

We know you asked us whether or not you should retake the LSAT or if you should concentrate on a career, but we can’t answer this for you. What do you think you should do? It seems like that you may have more options than just those two. Would it be possible to apply to law school and continue working? Or, could you keep working on your LSATS and stay at your job? Does it have to be one or the other—working towards going to law school OR stay at your job?

We hope that these questions give you something to think about and that you are able to come to a decision that you feel comfortable with. If you want to talk about the situation more and what your options are you are welcome to call us anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY. There is someone here 24/7 to listen.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X