No announcement yet.

What do/can I do?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What do/can I do?

    I am 16 years old planning to leave my home. I have a job where I am paid decently to the point I could rent a room somewhere to stay. I have tried to live with my family but due to some issues it has made it hard and pushed me to this point. My mother and father has VERBALLY given me permission however I don’t know what will happen if they were to call the police or if they can do something about me. I know I can get legally emancipated but I feel that is too complicated and that if they were to call they cops and it were to get to that point then I will go to court for that to happen. I still need to go back to school when school starts but I’m not sure if I’m allowed to?
    I live in ny if that helps.

  • #2
    Hi, thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are wanting to move out to support yourself and finish school, and right now your parents have given you permission. They would still be your guardians and could unfortunately change their minds. We are not legal experts, but it is not illegal for a minor to leave home. If they were to file a runaway report then the police could bring you back to your guardians.

    You mentioned that you don’t want to do the emancipation process, and you are right that the process is often long and involves court. If you do ever want information on that, don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-786-2929 for resources and to go over options. It shows that you’re responsible in wanting to stay in school. The McKinney-Vento Act allows unaccompanied youth who are not in the physical custody of a guardian to stay enrolled in your school, and can help with transportation and other services. The number for the NY Education Department to help you with this is 518-473-0295. For more information:

    We want to make sure you are safe wherever you go. It can help significantly to have a secure place to stay, a backup plan and a trusted adult that can help in case it doesn’t work out. If you want to talk through your plan, call or chat with us. Our lines are open 24/7!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp