Can I move out of my parents house?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I move out of my parents house?

I'm 17 years old and my father's wife won't let me move back in. But I have been having continuous problems with my mom. And currently, I live with my mom and 4 other people in a 2 bedroom apartment. My mom makes me watch my 3 little sisters all by myself every single day and I would have no problem with it but I get no compensation for it. She just expects me to do it. I have been on summer break for a whole month now and I haven't been able to do anything I want to do. Because she needs me to do something for her. I want to move out and live with someone until I'm 18 and can put my name on an apartment lease and officially move out but she won't even let me. I want to know if I can leave without her consent and without her calling the cops on me.

Hi there, thanks for reaching out. It definitely sounds like you're dealing with a lot and we're happy to try to help. We're not legal experts, but your mom could call the police and report you as a runaway if you leave home. Usually this isn't something that would get you arrested; the police would just return you home. If you want to live back with your father, his wife can't legally kick you out of the house if he has any sort of guardianship or custody over you. You may want to call the non-emergency police where you live to see if they can get you back in the home. You also can call us to have us call the non-emergency police for you if you are interested in learning more about runaway laws or moving back in with your father.

Best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X