No announcement yet.

Moving to another country at 17 without parent consent

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Moving to another country at 17 without parent consent

    I’m so tired of my religious parents and my mom is always on me for every little thing. I want to leave to South Korea and do what I love the most which is meet new people and I feel like that is just the best country. I am very sheltered at home I have never gone out with friends like ever the only time I could ever hang out with friends is if I ditch school. I completely hate school also I’ve been trying to get a GED but my mom doesn’t “believe” in that. I want to do a small degree but my mom is forcing me to become and nun or whatever and I’m forced to go to church everyday and I hate it! They took me to a retreat for 3 whole days and I was treated like trash. I’m thinking about leaving the US when I’m 17 and a half so I can save some money but my mom said if I ever try to leave she will call the police. I’m coming back once I’m 18 though because I want to travel the US. Is there any way that when I come back that I will be detained or something ? Please I just want peace because there’s times when I just want to shove a whole bottle of pills down my throat!

  • #2
    Hi, there,
    Thanks for sharing a little bit about your family. It sounds like you feel really stifled and “sheltered” at home, which must be really frustrating. It can be difficult being in an environment that does not feel supportive and that doesn’t respect your perspective. It’s understandable that you would feel trapped and want to remove yourself from that situation. No one deserves to be treated like trash. You write that “there’s times when I just want to shove a whole bottle of pills down my throat.” We take statements like yours very seriously because your safety is our highest priority. If you ever feel like you are in danger of hurting yourself, please know that you are not alone and there is support out there. If you ever need someone to listen or help you figure out your options, we are open 24/7 and our crisis line is 1-800-786-2929. Another resource that could be helpful is the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.

    You mention that you want to leave the US when you are 17 and a half to live in South Korea. Though we aren’t legal experts, it doesn’t seem likely that you would be able to get to South Korea as a minor. Your mother would have a right to file a runaway report and if the police are able to find you they would probably return you home. All that being said, if you do manage to make it out of the country and want to return as a legal adult, our understanding is that you should have no issue returning.

    Thank you again for reaching out. We hope this was helpful and we encourage you to reach out by phone if you need additional resources or need help figuring out your options. Our number is 1-800-786-2929 and our lines are always open. If you have a moment, we'd appreciate your feedback of our crisis services at the following link:
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp