No announcement yet.

I need to get away from my mom.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I need to get away from my mom.

    My parents got divorced a little over three years ago, and ever since my dad moved out my mom has been off the chain. She spends more money on gas to visit her boyfriends or on her nails than she does on food, and it’s gotten to the point that my grandmother has offered to let me stay with her. My dad, who has medical troubles and can’t afford to live on his own, also lives there, and I really think it’s the best option. My mom even agrees. She has a normal day job 4 days a week, and when she’s off she just sleeps and expects me and my little brother to fend for ourselves. Despite not really having the financial ability to, we take care of our dog, a cat with dietary issues, and three other cats. It’s really frustrating because as much as I love my babies, she spends more on their food than she does food for us. She says she’ll treat us with respect when we treat her well in return, but I don’t know how to when she feels as if her children are a burden. I need someone to help me with what I’d have to do in order to move out, since she has primary custody.

  • #2
    Hello, thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We are very sorry to hear that you feel that your needs are not being met by your mother. We are here to listen and hopefully can help in some way.

    It seems like you’re feeling like you are not being taken care of and are being left alone for long periods of time. If you feel that your basic needs (food, clothing, a place to stay) are not met you are always able to contact your local Child Protective Service agency (CPS) or Child Help at 1800-422-4453 or at to report neglect. If you are a minor, your mother has an obligation to meet your basic needs. We are sorry to know that when you do ask if she can do these things that is makes you feel like a burden. If you feel like having a conversation with your mother that is mediated and respectful may be a first option, you can call us and we can initiate a conference call between you too that has guidelines and is constructive. You mentioned that your mom feels like you going to live with your grandmother is an option. For that, the only thing you would need is your mother’s and your grandmother’s permission to go. Maybe all of you having a conversation about how that would look and the expectations of you living in a new environment may help. If you are really nervous about this option, then possibly having something in writing that is notarized stating that you are allowed to live there may also be an option. She would still be obligated to make sure that you and your brother’s needs are taken care of. It is understandable that you are torn between the love for your pets but at the same time realize that your mother takes better care of them than you feel she does you. Hopefully, you can relocate to your grandmother’s or find some solution between you and your mother.

    Again, thank you for reaching out to the NRS. If you feel like you need further assistance or would like to talk more about your situation feel free to call us at 1800-RUNAWAY, or chat/email with us at
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif