No announcement yet.

14 Washington Runaway and Housing

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 14 Washington Runaway and Housing

    im 14 years old and plan to run away from home. my parents live separated in the same home, my dad is emotionally abusive (since its not illegal nothing has happened), im suicidal and not getting treatment (its not that i'm not trying its that we're pre-occupied with my older sibling), I have no freedom what so ever making me feel trapped (I'm not even allowed to cut my hair because my dad says I'm not allowed to for his reasons). I get this doesn't sound that bad but its a hard situation to describe rather than be in. I plan to leave a note explaining everything. I can't take this anymore and just plan to runaway to live with a friend for a little while to at least wind down and get to a point where I feel safer emotionally, where I don't feel like ending my life. would I get punished for doing this? if my parents called the police and they found me would I HAVE to go home? and the friend that is housing me, could they get into legal troubles? 1

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear about what has been going on and want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home and that your life is valuable. If you are ever feeling suicidal again and need someone to talk to, don't hesitate to reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. They are always there to listen and to support.

    We are not legal experts, but we can tell you that because you are a minor, if you leave home and your parents file a runaway report, you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a runaway. If you want a liner to help you walk through other options like us mediating a conference call between you and your parents, thinking through possible adults that you could turn to or could advocate for you, or things like emancipation and legal aid numbers, don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

    Stay safe,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif