Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to leave but I don’t know how?

Summer vacation has just started and I already don’t feel like I will be able to finish this summer out. I’m gonna be a junior next year but my parents won’t let me hang out with friends or do anything. I’ve broken their trust in the past but they never give me any chances to pay it back. I haven’t been allowed to hang with my friends since February. I want to ask them if I could take a break from the family this summer And live with my aunt until school starts back up. I don’t know how to do it and I think they wouldn’t say yes. How do I persuade them?

Hey,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have been going through a lot at home and we are sorry to hear that. It has got to be really difficult to experience verbal and mental abuse from your parents. We are here to help you out the best that we can.

It’s not fair that they’re holding your past mistakes against you and not forgiving you. Trust should be something they give you a chance to re-build. Have you talked to them about ways for you to earn back the trust so you can spend time with your friends? Sometimes this can be a hard thing to do, and we understand that. Here at NRS, we offer conference calling. That means that if you were to call into call, we could call out to your parents with you and facilitate a conversation between the two of you. We would mediate to make sure that you are being heard in everything that you want to communicate. You could also ask them if you could spend the summer with your Aunt during that call. Also, have you ever explored the option of family counseling? We have a large database of different resources, including counseling services. If this is an option you would like to discuss further, or would like resources in your area, we would be happy to locate some close to you.

We will not tell you what to do, whether or not you should leave home because you know your situation better than we do. We just want to make sure that you are safe in whatever decision you make. We are here 24/7, and our line is confidential and anonymous at 1800runaway. We also have a chat option available from 4:30pm to 11:30pm CST through our website at 1800runaway.org. Please call or chat us if you would like to talk further or if we can provide you any local resources. We are here to listen and here to help.

Good luck and stay safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X