No announcement yet.

Alabama Resources?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Alabama Resources?

    I am 16 and am at a growing risk of being kicked out of my house due to my single parent's strong negative beliefs and opinions towards LGBT people. Members of my family have been kicked out and disowned by the majority of my family at the age of 16 before for simply being gay. I am transgender and my mother, as well as relatives that share her beliefs and opinions, have become very suspicious of me being LGBT and have even become violent on a few separate occasions because of this suspicion. I am trying very hard not to get outed and kicked out, however I would like to know my options if this does happen before I am legally an adult and prepared to leave. I recently moved to Huntsville,Alabama, and everyone i know who is willing to let me stay with them, live in and around the Kansas City, Missouri area. My best option at the moment would be to take a bus or train to Missouri, but I'm very worried about having to deal with legal issues if i were to go out of state. I'm also worried as to whether or not i would have issues with this when I am 18 as the legal age of an adult in the state of Alabama is 19. If you could give me any answers or advice for this I would be very appreciative

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for reaching out to us at the national Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear about what you have had to face and what your other family members have experienced and we want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home. We are not legal experts, but it would be considered neglect to be kicked out while you are still a minor and would be reportable against your parent. If you don't want to do that and would rather live somewhere else and you don't think they would file a runaway report, you could always call us at 1-800-786-2929 and we could look up resources and shelters in whatever city you are looking to live in. You could live in a different state or with other people as long as the runaway report is not filed.You would also have other options like emancipation or doing a program like AmeriCorps or Job Corps once you turn 18. Don't hesitate to give us a call if you want to walk through any of these options or want the information for anything listed above.

    Stay safe,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp