Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to leave my home

I’m a very confused 19 year old female, I’ve always lived in one place my whole life. My parents have always had an iron grip on me and what I do. As an adult I thought it would be better but they constantly remind me about how I’m basically not good enough and could be doing better. I just want to live a happy life and with them I just can’t. I have a lot of connections here that make me feel the same way. Everyone I know makes me feel like I’m not doing good enough even though I’m trying. I prefer to live a life that I want for myself and not what everyone else wants for me. In all honestly I just want to completely leave and start a brand new life. I have the opportunity to fly to another country for under $100 usd. I’m willing to save a lot of money to leave but I’m afraid I won’t make it in another country. I need advice, whether is how to block out the negativity in my life or if I should leave and hope for the best. I’m tired of this life and how it drags me down.

Hello!
    Thanks for reaching out to us! It takes a lot of strength to ask for help and we really appreciate the courage it takes to begin to change your life.

It sounds like there is a lot of pressure on you coming from multiple directions. That can be really tough especially when you are trying to figure out who you are as an adult. You absolutely deserve a happy like and to live in a place where this is possible for you. Sometimes the difference between what you want and what others want for you can be really hard to overcome. But it is a worthy jump if it means you can be happy.
    Living in another country can be a very exciting thing, but it also takes a lot of preparation. There are a lot of things to consider like where you would live, how you would support yourself, would you need visas and how would you get them. It sounds like you have taken a good first step in trying to save money.

If you wish to stay home and work on blocking out the negativity, there are resources for that too. If you haven’t thought about it yet, a resource that might help improve the situation is therapy or counseling. You could try to do this as a family, if you think your parents might be receptive to that, so that your family can find better ways to communicate. You could also try individual counseling so that you could work on the ways you process the negativity. A resource that can help you find the best counselors and therapists is SAMHSA (Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration), they can be reached at sanhsa.gov or 1-877-726-475. Another resource is NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness), they can be reached at name.org or 1-800-950-6264 or if you next NAMI to 741741.

National Runaway Safeline offers a conference call service in which we can conduct a conference call with you and your parents where we can mediate any tough conversation you wish to have with them. This is not a long term solution but it can help you get some stuff off your chest and work towards coming up with a plan for the future together. You can access or learn more about this resource by calling us. We can also discuss any other options, questions or concerns more in depth. Our number is 1-800-786-2929 and we are available 24/7, toll free, and completely confidential.
    Thank you again for writing us today! Good luck!

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X