No announcement yet.

I want out of my house but I don't want to be legally responsible

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I want out of my house but I don't want to be legally responsible

    I'm 14 and it's gotten to the point where I can't stand living with my family anymore. My mom verbally abuses me everyday, screaming at me, calling me a murderer (even though I haven't laid a hand on anyone) because of my violent night tremors, calling my extremely bad names, calling me worthless and assaulting my every action. She's hit me before in the past. I have various mental disorders, so my mom has paid for my therapy and medicines before, but not much worked except medicine until now. The therapy didn't work because I had a different mindset, but now it's different, yet my mom still abuses me and justifies it saying that I'm the verbally abusive one, and it's ok to treat me like this constantly because of how I treated her in the past. I don't love her anymore, and I want out. My mom and my dad are divorced but living together for financial reasons, and my dad won't take custody of me because he doesn't want to deal with my medication costs and other problems (ex: fighting at home). I'm afraid to call CPS because they came to my house once and because of that my dad couldn't get a job for 5 years. I Don't want to be put in foster care because I go to a very good public school and I want to be able to see my friends, which I feel are the only people who really care about me anymore. I'd preferably want to live with my dad or somewhere in my school's area, but I don't know what to do. This is all very underwhelming for what is really happening because it's been happening for so long I can't remember exactly the things she's said, but for the past few days I've considered running away but then not done it because it's not worth it. Is there some place I can go where I can be away from my mom but still be in contact with my sister and my dad and my friends? Thank you.

  • #2
    Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand that it takes courage to seek help. We are very sorry to hear that your mom is verbally abusive towards you. The fact that she is refusing to pay for your medication and get you the proper help may qualify as neglect. You don't deserve to be treated that way. Although verbal abuse is hard to prove, you have the right to report it. You mentioned that you are afraid to contact CPS but you could call Child Help (1-800-422-4453) to explore your options, they can also provide you with information on how to transfer custody. If you decide to runaway, your parents have the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they may return you home. Running away isn't illegal but if you were to stay with a friend, they could get charged with harboring a runaway. You could try asking your parents if they would allow you to stay with another family member or close friend as well. We hope that this information helps, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp