Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running away at 18 (very long)

Hi I'm thinking about leaving home to get away from toxic parents. I'll have a place to stay but it's in a different country and with my long distance girlfriend. I plan on going from England to Germany and have a flight booked.

(this part is all personal stuff & my reasoning)
    ​​​
    ​​​​​​Basically I've never had a great relationship with my parents and neither have my siblings. And yesterday they found out I was planning to leave and they freaked out a lot.
    I told my sister everything before hand, that I was planning on going to Germany but I'm not sure for how long or if I'd come back. Which is true because I don't have a return ticket because I can just book a flight whenever I'm ready to go home as the company I'm using are fairly cheap & easy.
    My sister essentially betrayed me and told my parents everything, which I guess they needed to know at some point anyway but I'd have rather told them myself when I was ready because it was a very personal thing to me, especially because I hadn't come out to my parents yet (I'm a female & bisexual). It forced me to tell them the person I'm staying with is my girlfriend which I just was not ready for at all and I felt so vulnerable as my parents are kind of homophobic.

​​​​​They didn't react to any of it well, they both basically called me crazy and said I'd end up getting myself killed. To them it looks like I'm meeting some total stranger off the internet which I get is hard for some to understand, especially since my parents don't really use social media, but I spent an entire weekend with her not long ago since we stayed in a hotel together here in England. We had been talking for two years before this also and had skyped so I wasn't just meeting a complete stranger. I also met her dad because he came over with her. I understand that they're concerned with my safety but for the sake of my well being it would be better to leave.
    They also threatened to take everything off me, like my computer, phone etc. They changed our WiFi password too to 'protect me' but I can still use data on my phone so that is pretty pointlesss, it's just a bit of an inconvenience.

I also battle with depression and being at home isn't helping me at all. I'm constantly worried what my parents think of me and in general they just make me feel worse and I know it's not healthy for me to stay here. If they made me stay it would be just awful for me and I can feel myself falling into a bad episode again and I have pretty bad suicidal thoughts so it would be better for me to get out and be somewhere where I'm much happier.
    ​​​​​​My girlfriend really understands that too because she's had mental health

Hi there,

It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help.
    The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. Since you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: http://www.childhelplineinternationa...where-we-work/
    We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X