Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running away? (this is very long)

my parents are both very emotionally abusive, and sometimes physically depending on how severe, and because i'm a closeted transgender guy, it starts to pile up on me. (i can't come out because they're extremely religious, for example, my mother told me that if she found out that i was transgender, she would kill herself.) i already have two places to go to if needed, and i have many friends that support me. i'm terrified of doing it but knowing that i'll be safer and since i'll be able to socially transition, it's very hard to resist thinking about it. i'm planning to run away with my pet cat, which will probably be a hassle in the long run.do you have any advice on what to do? sorry for any trouble while responding to this and thank you in advance.

Hi there,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us at NRS. It sounds like you’re in a scary and frustrating situation at home and have been feeling overwhelmed for some time. It’s understandable you’d be thinking about leaving home.

First of all, please know that no one deserves to be physically or emotionally abused, and how your parents have been treating you is wrong. You have the right to report this abuse to the authorities so you can be in a safe environment. You can do this by telling a teacher or another staff member at school that you trust, calling the police, or calling NRS at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) any time. Child Help is another great resource, since they can report abuse as well as walk you through the details of what might happen after you report. They’re a 24/7 hotline like us, and their number is 1-800-422-4453.

If you decide to leave home, the most important priority is to plan for your safety. It sounds like you have already thought about places you could go. Some other things to think about are how long you will be able to stay there, what your backup plan for shelter is if those places don’t work out, how you will support yourself, how you’ll handle work/school, what you’ll do if the police pick you up – as well as how you’d care for your cat. If you give us a call or chat with us at 1800runaway.org, we’d be happy to brainstorm some options as well as look up resources like shelters in your area.

The fact that you are doing your research and reaching out to get as much info as you can before you make this decision shows a lot of strength and maturity. We are here for you if you want to talk or look for other resources.

Best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X