Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im 16 and want out

I am 16, and I would like to move out at the end of this school year (i am a junior). I have been talking to my counselor about graduating early , which for me would be an amazing option. I've tried to leave before but my dad insisted that I stay, but I could easily get a job, quickly and I have a friend I could for sure stay with. What do I do?

re: Im 16 and want out

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out today and sharing your story with us. It sounds like you have a bit of a plan in place if you decide to leave. It’s smart to be thinking ahead about where you are going to stay and how you are going to be able to support yourself. That’s impressive – seriously! It sounds like school is really important to you. It’s great that you’re reaching out for some guidance, so let’s see how we can help you out.

We can’t tell you what to do – but it’s clear that you’ve put a lot of thought into this. Making sure that you have a solid plan in place can be a good way to make sure that you are safe and that you are stable. It sounds like you want to leave home so that you are able to be more independent. One way to be independent is to make sure that you have a solid plan. Thinking through these questions might be a good next step for you:

If the place where I’m staying doesn’t work out, where will I go?
    Who can I depend on if things don’t work out?
    What will happen if I am brought back home?
    Who can support me financially until I get a job?
    Will I continue to go to school?
    What will I bring with me when I leave my parent’s house?

Thinking through these questions might help you become that independent person that you’re hoping to be.

We hope that this is a helpful start for you. If you’d like to talk more about anything or have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to call or chat with us. You can call us 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm central time.

We look forward to your call or chat.

Good luck to you and stay strong!

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X