I don’t want to live with my dad anymore

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don’t want to live with my dad anymore

I’m 13 and my parents have been divorced since I was 4. The reason why is a little complicated and I don’t really want to tell the whole internet. But basically I don’t like my dad and a despise his wife with a passion. His wife is ALWAYS drunk and even if she is sober she’s still a jerk. I don’t want to live at his house anymore but a few years ago my birth mother and I took him to court for full custody. The court didn’t do anything and I still have to go over there weekly. Any time I try to talk to my dad he guilts me with phrases like, “oh I’m sorry our house is so horrible that you don’t want to live with me anymore.” I’ve discovered that he loves to guilt people to get his way. I can’t talk to him about anything and in general I feel like he doesn’t care about me. I’m a straight A student in all advanced classes, I’m in multiple bands at my school and have been playing guitar my whole life and can do some pretty cool things. He doesn’t care about any of this or even pay attention to me when I’m telling him a story. For example, at my jazz band and advanced band concert he showed up 45 minutes late and once we started playing he left the concert to talk on the phone. He doesn’t treat my stepsister like this and he treats his wife like she is the only woman left on earth. We can’t take him back to court because he might get more custody which I obviously don’t want. I really want to tell him that it’s mentally and physically hard to live with him but I’m scared and don’t know how to go about it. Any advice or anything me as a 13 year old can do to not live with him or take legal action? Sorry for the long rant too :/

Reply: I don’t want to live with my dad anymore

Hi,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We are sorry to hear that the relationship between you, your father and your extended family has been a difficult one. We understand how upsetting these actions you talked about must be.
    Sometimes when communication breaks down it can be helpful to seek counseling as a way to open the door to better communication and understanding.
    If you would like to talk more about your situation and explore options on how to turn things around, please contact NRS at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org (live Chat).
    We are here to listen and here to help.

You did very well by reaching out today. It took courage to do so and we want you to know you are not alone.
    We hope that talking about your situation in some way helped you feel better.
    We look forward to hearing from you.

Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

thanks good to know there are other peple too

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X