No announcement yet.

I need help

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I need help

    My boyfriend is 18 and he wants to move out, he has a place to go, would his sister is in charge of him be allowed to file him as a runaway. he gets abused and threatened at home. the people who "take" care of him, don't. they smoke weed, My boyfriend takes care of the children and pays the rent. Is he legally allowed to move out on his own without their permission?

  • #2
    Hello, Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like your boyfriend is having a tough time at home and is ready to leave. The good news is that since he is 18, he is technically an adult so he is free to come and go as he pleases. No one would be able to file him as a runaway. Additionally since he is an adult now the abuse that he is experiencing is considered assault which is an arrestable offense. We cannot imagine how he must be feeling and dealing with all of this, for so long. If either of you have any questions please feel free to direct your questions to your local non-emergency police.
    We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: We care what you think
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp