No announcement yet.

i need ur help

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • i need ur help

    hello, i am 17 teen years old. i wish to to leave my parents house without being considered a runaway. Problem is they are sending me to live with my real mother. Can i still leave? Can i leave my real mother too? I plan to stay with my boyfriend and his parents until i can find a solid place to stay. His parents told me i am welcome in there house anytime and that care for me because i make there son extremely happy. My parents don't like him and i went against there wishes to date him. But I'm old enough to make decisions on my own. I knew the consequences for dating him and i will take them with responsibility, i just need to know that i am doing everything legally so that i don't get me or anyone else in trouble. i would really appreciate your advice,thank you.

  • #2
    re: i need ur help

    Hi there,

    Thanks for reaching out today and sharing your story with us. You’re asking some good questions. It sounds like you have a lot of support in your boyfriend and his family. That’s great to hear. It’s understandable and makes a lot of sense that you’d want to go to stay with him.

    We aren’t legal experts here, but we are able to speak generally about all this. Since you are under 17, if you leave home without your legal guardian’s permission, then your guardian has the right to file a runaway report with the police. If your guardians say that you are going to live with your real mother, and then you leave from her house, your guardians still have the right to file a runaway report. The reason for that is because they are legally responsible for anything that happens to you all the way until you turn 18. Once you turn 18, you become a legal adult and you gain the right to decide where you want to live. If they file a runaway report, then the police could look for you and if they found you, they could bring you back home. It’s not illegal to be filed as a runaway, but you could be brought back home. So when you ask are you able to leave, the answer is yes – and you could still be brought back home.

    Now, the closer you are to 18, then less likely the police are to make you go back home.

    We hope that this information helps you in making your decision. We are here to support you in whatever you decide to do. If you’d like to talk more about anything, please call or chat with us. You can call us 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us through our website ( from 4.30pm-11.30pm central time.

    We look forward to your call or chat.

    Best of luck to you,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp