I need to leave but im 17 and i dont wanna go to jail

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to leave but im 17 and i dont wanna go to jail

my parents are super poor and my father is psychotic. and extremely overprotective so i cant do anything. it makes me sick to have to even see his face. i have a place to go. but i have no money and im sick of living this way. i truly hate my parents. its stupid that im 17 and miserable yet its illegal for me to finally be happy if i were to leave. ok so would i get arrested?

re: I need to leave but I'am 17 and I don't want to go to jail.

Hello there-

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). Sounds like a very tough situation to go through. We are here to support you as much as we can. It is not illegal to runaway, but it is a status offense. If you decide to run away and your parents file a runaway report, the police will bring you back home to your parents. Another thing to be aware of is if someone allows to live with them, they can be criminally charged for harboring a runaway. The second thing to think about is if you are 17 and near to turning 18, there is a chance that the police will not search for you. One way to find out for sure is by calling your local police department and asking at what age they stop searching for runaways. We are not legal experts here, however that is one option that may wat to look into. We have many different resources that we can help with such as, family counseling, legal aid, government and state assistance in your area, as well as housing and shelter options if you are in need of a place to stay.
    We encourage you to call us at 1800-786-2929 so that we can help you.

Thank you and good luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X