How to go about leaving home at 18

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to go about leaving home at 18

I've been seriously thinking about leaving home at 18. I know it's legal and I've looked into it a lot but my only problem is I do not know where to go. I'm still in high school so I obviously can't leave the town I currently live in. I have a small job but I know it is not close to enough money to rent my own place. I don't really have the time for a second job since I'm in 12th grade and have so many responsibilities with school. I know I can't take living in my house anymore though. My family is slowly destroying me. I learn bad things from my mother and siblings and I am always trying to not make the same mistakes but I fear the only way I can be sure of that is just by getting out. Is there anywhere I can live? A way to get money? I used to think I was able to stick things out till college and than just leave but honestly I can't. 2 months feel awful let alone enduring another 8 months of my family environment.

RE: How to go about leaving home at 18

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Moving out on your own can be a big challenge. We are sorry to hear about the situation with your mother and siblings. That sounds very stressful. It sounds like you plan to leave but you aren’t sure what to do until you graduate. One thing you could consider is looking into living with a friend or relative, or finding a roommate or sublet that you can live in until you can leave for college. We can also help you find resources for shelter housing if you are not able to find anything. It sounds like you will find it hard to get by with the job you have right now. That sounds very frustrating. We are here to listen and help you in any way that we can. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X