Almost 17 and I want to move out.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost 17 and I want to move out.

So my problem is silly I guess compared to others on here but, I really need to leave. My mother and stepdad treat me awfully and I don't think I can handle it anymore. We fight to the point where I think they might just kick me out anyway. But I have a job and I pay my phone bill and car insurance and I have money saved up. My best friend and my boyfriend have already told me that I have a place with either of them because they know how bad things are. I will be 17 in 2 weeks and I just can't be in this environment anymore. But I feel like if I try to leave, they won't let me. What am I supposed to do?

re: Almost 17 and I want to move out.

Hi, thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runway Safeline. It seems that you are going through a difficult experience at home with your mother and your stepfather. You don’t deserve to be treated awfully. You deserve to feel safe and supported at home. Perhaps you can consider talking to them about how you feel. Here at NRS, we offer a conference calling service where you would be able to initiate a conversation between you and your mom/stepfather to try and talk about what is going on at home and see if there is a way that a compromise could be met. We could help mediate that conversation. Sometimes just being able to talk can be a way to open up the lines of communication and see the best way that everyone can compromise. If this is something that you might want to look into, please feel free to reach out to us at our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

It seems that your boyfriend and your best friend are being very supportive by offering you a place to stay, which is an option that you could explore with your parent’s permission. Although we aren’t legal experts, we can speak generally about your situation. Generally, by being under the age of majority, any type of alternative living arrangement which allows you to live outside of your home would need your parent’s permission. Whether you could legally move out of home without permission at 17 years old depends on the laws that apply to your state. One option you have is to call your local law enforcement department and just ask hypothetically how they may handle this. You do not have to give identifying information to do this. If you would like assistance, you can call us and we can make a call out with you or on your behalf.

Another thing that you might be able to look into is a process called emancipation. Everyone is automatically emancipated at 18 (becoming legally responsible for yourself). Sometimes the court will emancipate someone before they turn 18. What you would have to do is prove to the court that you are able to care for yourself. So it’s good that you have a job. They will also want to see that you are making enough money to afford an apartment and live on your own. If you’re interested in getting emancipated, the first step is to contact a lawyer. You can call us here at 1800runaway and we can pass along some legal aid resources local to you that could potentially help you through this process, or at least discuss what this option looks like for you.

We want you to know that you do have options. If you would like to talk further about your situation and explore more options, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us. We’re sorry that you had to endure this difficult experience. We are here to listen, here to help. You can reach us at our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Our live chat service is available from 4:30 PM to 11:30 PM CST and could be accessed through our website, www.1800runaway.org. We hope to hear from you soon.

Stay strong.
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X