X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

I want emancipation

Hi, I'm 16, almost 17, and live in ohio. I live with both of my parents and my dad is very verbally abusive. I have been suicidal since 7th grade. Approximately 11-12 years old. I struggle with very bad depression but my mom is weird about the topic and won't get me help and usually tries to brush me off ( the few times I've talked to her about it). I think she is this way because it hurts her and she isn't sure what to do or say. My dad threatens to physically harm me a lot but never has. (I have however witnessed him hit my older sisters who are all now moved out). My dad's verbal abuse constantly pishes me down mentally and has definitely taken it's toll on me. I want to file for emancipation but I fear if I don't get it, it'll make the home situation worse. I know I can get to a certain point in emancipation without notifying my parents.. But I wanted to know if there is anyway I could file for it and know if I'd get it or not before my parents are notified. I have a job and have several thousand in savings. My sisters have both agreed to let me move in with them as they want me out of the house as well. Please help on my options!
  • ccsmod14
    Super Moderator
    • Apr 2014

Re: I want emancipation

Hi,
    Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that you’re going through this type of verbal and emotional abuse. You don’t deserve to be verbally attacked or threatened. It sounds like you’ve been dealing with this for quite some time. It must be hard to deal with all of this but you have taken a great step in reaching out for some help.

You mentioned that you’ve been suicidal for several years. One resource we’d like to pass along is the National Suicide Hotline at (800) 273 TALK (8255). Have you considered reaching out to anyone at school, such as a social worker or counselor? These might be potential resources for you. If you would like low cost or free resources for counseling in your area, you can call us at 1800runaway and we can try to locate some near you.

It sounds like you have supportive sisters, which is great. It sounds like they are a great outlet for you and have offered a lot of help to you. We want to clarify that we are not legal experts here but we can provide you with as much support and referrals as we can. As for the emancipation process, you would have to speak with a legal aid representative for clarification on what the steps and time frames are within your state. You can call us for legal resources as well. Please feel free to call us to speak more about your options. We’re here to help you.

Best of luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X