Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 and I have very few skills

I turned 18 very recently and I desperately need to get away from my family but I don't know if I'll graduate or be able to attend college if I do anymore, which was my original plan for getting away.

I know I'm 18 and I just sound like a mopey hormonal teenager but I'm genuinely afraid of what will happen if I don't graduate high school. I can't bear living with my emotionally abusive mother and I can't imagine what she'll do if I don't graduate. A sibling graduated but then dropped out of college and my parents have all but disowned him for it.

I'm afraid that she'll cut me off from communicating with my friends who have been the only thing keeping me hopeful of any future. I'm so scared that it'll come to a point where suicide feels like the only option for me, and I want to believe that running away- while obviously not a "safe" or "smart" decision could at least give me a chance before I die of gettinf somewhere and finding a way to live.

The problem though is, I have maybe $70 to my name and no driver's permit or income. I don't know how to drive but even if I did I think it'd cause even more trouble if I left with one of my dad's cars.

I'm willing to do physical labor / minimum wage work, I just don't know how to get to a place where I could start or how to even get hired without a home or a resume or even a high school degree.

I just want a chance to live but I really have very few skills I don't know what to do. Any help would be amazing and thank you If yoy read this.

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help and posting on our forum! We’re glad that you found out about our organization, we’re here to help in any way we can.

Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult, which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live.
    We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help you get your feet on the ground and provide housing while you do that, such as Transitional Living Programs. TLPs are a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living, they will help you reach any goals you may have (like building a resume or finding a job).

If you’re interested in us connecting you with those resources, please don’t hesitate to call in our safeline. We are here to listen and help however we can.

Best, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X