No announcement yet.

I don't want to live with my father anymore

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't want to live with my dad at all. I met him when I was 15 but I had no other choice but to move with him at that time. I am 17 now and from the age of 15 to now his wife has kicked me out multiple times. They verbally abused me. And I just don't feel safe. He abandoned me at one of his friends house. Sadly I had to move back with him yesterday. I don't know what to do. I am not happy and I wish to live somewhere else where I feel safe and loved.

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out. It sounds like home is a really unsafe environment for you the last 2 years. You deserve to be loved and to feel safe.
      You mentioned that your dad’s wife has kicked you out several times. That can be considered abused of a minor. If you want to get Child Protective Services involved, that is your right. We can help you make an abuse report if you want to call us 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929. Child Help is the national child abuse hotline and they can provide more information on what is considered abuse, how to report and how to get custody transferred to a safe adult like another family member or friend’s family. Child Help: 1-800-422-4453; childhelp.org.
      You said you met your dad just 2 years ago. Where were you living before that? Perhaps that may be an option for a safe place to stay.
      If you want to call in (open 24/7, 1-800-RUNAWAY) or live chat with us on our website (4:30-11:30pm Central Time daily) we can look up shelters and other local resources for you as well.
      School counselors or teachers may also be of help if you have not reached out to them yet.
      Thank you for posting. It certainly shows a lot of strength and bravery. You deserve a safe place to stay. We are here to help and support you!

My life is reallyour hard. My mom was was admitted into hospital and she was an alcoholic. I had to suddenly move in with my dad who didn't have money. After a while. I really started to miss my mom. And my dad never used to get so angry so quickly like he does now. He thinks shouting at me and saying missing my mom is stupid....is going to make me talk to him. I don't want to live with him anymore . I miss my mom and I really just want things to go back to the way they were

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi There,

You have gone through a lot. Having a parent who struggles with addiction is very hard and then having to move into a new living situation with your father makes it even more difficult to cope. It sounds like your dad’s temper has gotten worse with the recent stress and changes going on. Being shouted at never feels good. It’s understandable that you would want to leave that environment and that you miss your mom.

Please know that you are not alone and that you deserve to be supported and treated with love and respect. We hope that you will consider reaching out to us to discuss your situation in more detail by calling our 24-hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or via our live online chat. We are completely confidential and would be happy to chat, whether it is to look up supports and resources in your area or just simply listen to what you’re going through.

Stay strong,
      NRS

My mom died when I was 11 and now I live with my dad and Im 15. I really hate it I don’t feel loved her and I’m always surrounded by men I hate it and I really want to live with me aunt is there a way she could get custody of me ?

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey,
      Thanks so much for reaching out. It sounds like you’re in a really stressful situation. It must be really difficult feeling like you’re not loved and it sounds uncomfortable to be constantly surrounded by men. It sounds like you want to live with your aunt. If your dad gives you permission, then you should be able to go there with no issue—though we’re not legal experts by any means. Your aunt could also file for custody of you. To get more information about what that would look like, you or your aunt could reach out to a family lawyer or a legal aid clinic in the area. If you need help locating resources in your area, please feel free to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929.
      Thanks again for reaching out. We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think . Please also feel free to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929. We wish you the best of luck.

So I'm 12 I live with my mom and about 6 months ago my dad bought a house so usually he gets me Wednesday 2:45pm to 8:00pm then Thursday 2:45 to 8:00 so as soon as he got his house he was like yay you get a room here and I told him that I had no interest in staying there and when he would get me I wouldn't talk to him so he decided that I was mentally insane because my attitude has changed dramatically but I had never liked my dad because he always criticized me you don't have enough friends get more friends play outside more like kayaking and he made me think I wasn't good enough for society I started having really bad anxiety and depression I fell deep and then he wanted me to start spending weekends with him and I flipped out and he was like why are you acting like this I have total control over you so you listen to what I say so I then had joined soccer and this was on a Wednesday and the next day I had a soccer scrimmage and a friend was taking to it and I told him this and he flipped out screamed at me and locked me in my room for 2 hours which made me freak out and have multiple panic Attacks because honestly my dad seems like something is mentally wrong with him and would kill someone if they pissed him off so me sitting in the room texted my mom who texted my dad to let me out so 2 hours after I had been locked in my room he came in and said lets go so I got up walked to the door and he grabbed my wrist and said if you ever tell your mom I do something like this again I will beat the living ******** out of you so now it's been a month since I've seen him and I don't want to see him again and I want to run away but I don't know where to go and if I do run away I'm scared he might hit me because he has a history of emotional and physical abuse to me and my brother which my brother told on him and doesn't have to see him anymore but I don't know how to tell on him

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline and sharing a little bit about what is going. It takes a lot of courage to reach out and especially in a time where you have a really tough and complex situation. We are sorry you are experiencing abuse, no one ever deserves to go through that. You do have the right to report the abuse and tell on him through Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. You can either do it your self or call into us directly and we can support you through it. It I hard to say the result of reporting , but if you call in you can ask what the process might look like.

Also another way you can seek help is reaching out to a friend, teacher, or counselor at school that can help you look for resources. Your mental health is important. You can also look at SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) at samhsa.gov or call them directly at 1-877-726-4727 to help you find the support that you need. If you do ever feel in direct danger, to yourself, or some else makes you feel that way, please call out to 911 or reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255).

It can be difficult to know how to talk to your parents and express your feeling about how you are feeling. We would encourage you to reach out to a trusted adult, teacher, relative, and friend that you can talk to and potentially help you mediate a conversation with your dad or mom about your current situation. At NRS, we do offer a service call conference calling, where you can call into our hotline and then we would reach out to your guardian and help advocate for you, help you express the needs of to your parents.

We are here for you and will support you in anyway that we can. Please feel free to call into us directly as we can talk further about your situation and find resources that are best for you in your area. Stay strong and you are not alone in this! Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY we are open 24/7.

We hope this response was helpful! We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey.

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think
      Last edited by ccsmod3; 03-03-2018, 11:33 PM.

I don't want to live with my dad anymore... But is it my fault?

My father has always been the kind to blame others for his actions. He is quick to flip his emotions as well. When I was younger he used to shun me or tell at me for making simple mistakes, even when I don't remember what I did. I would try to apologize to him but he would shun it away and simply tell me he's dissapointment in me and then shun me the rest of the day. I started to grow emotionally distant and if I tried to defend myself he threatened to kick my a** and "give me something to cry about". He's been charged several times for assault and he's beaten my mother, brother, and sister countless times before having me. I don't know what to do because everyone in my family just tells me to suck it up or that he loves me deep down and I know that's true, but I'm honestly scared for my life when I'm with him. If I ask to stay at my mom's one weekend, he will purposely ask several uncomfortable questions and guilt me into staying at his house. He constantly shames my mom even though she is trying her hardest to raise me and his new wife doesn't do anything about his antics.... I honestly don't know if half this stuff is normal or not...
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 03-08-2018, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Reply: I don't want to live with my dad anymore...

Hi,
      Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you are in a tough situation and may be looking for some options to help cope with everything.
      We understand how difficult it must have been to speak about what you have been feeling.
      You are very brave for doing so. Good for you.
      NRS would like you to know we are here to support you at this difficult time.
      This does not sound like normal behavior and you don't deserve this from him.

You are not responsible for the way your father behaves towards you.
      From what you described it sounds like he is abusive towards other family members including your mother. We can only imagine the stress and fear you all must be going through.
      No one deserves to be abused. “You should not have to suck it up”.
      You have the right to want to feel and be safe.
      There are services where you might consider getting help.
      Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

NRS is here to listen and here to help.
      Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of.
      We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Please contact us at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) orwww.1800Runaway.org (live chat).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe and take care,
      NRS

We hope that this information is helpful to you! We’d love to hear what you think about your experience with the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). If you have a moment, please click the link below our signature line to fill out a quick survey.
      Last edited by ccsmod4; 03-08-2018, 07:10 AM.
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I hate my dad because he is always on my ass about stuff and he doesn't know that he's being stupid he is so strict and it pisses me off all the time mainly because he wants me to do well in school but he doesn't understand that he keeps making me mad and I'm so close to taking my guitar and slamming it over his head mainly because I don't play it and he is so annoying why would he hit me full force with a real leather belt across my bare ass he is so annoying I swear eventually if he gets anymore dumber I might actually throw him out his room window so that he won't be able to be in my life anymore but I've been having suicidal thoughts because of him and i already went to a mental hospital for that not going back there so I'm seriously thinking about running away but I don't know where I would go because Henry County all the way to Atlanta where my mom lives is too far to walk and I'm too lazy to even walk 10 miles I can only walk 5 and then I have to take a break for a long time.

Comment

• ccsmod10
          ccsmod10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey there,

First of all thank you so much for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline! It sounds like you have been going through a really difficult time at home, but it’s great that you are reaching out to get some help. We’re here to help in any way we can.

It sounds like home life is really intense and scary. You said that you do not feel safe at home. It’s really difficult to live in a place where you don’t feel supported or safe. Being threatened and abused is never okay, you don’t deserve to be treated that way. If you ever want to report any sort of abuse you can call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453 or even just call us to help you file that report, Child Help also has a chatting service on their website. If you call or chat us we can also look for local resources such as counseling services or youth shelters if you are interested in those services. You should not have to go through this alone.

Your safety is extremely important to us. You mention that you have thought about killing yourself, and having those thought can be extremely scary. You do not deserve to be treated poorly at home and if you are ever having thoughts of suicide do not hesitate to call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. Again, they have an online chatting system if you can’t speak on the phone at www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org . Your life has worth and we are always here to talk as well if those thoughts get too overwhelming.

If those suicidal thoughts are too much and you fear for your safety at home, don’t hesitate to call 911 or if you need to leave the home, do that. If you ever need to get the phone number of a nearby shelter, or just want to brainstorm some more ideas. Unfortunately were unable to share local resources on our public forum. If you can email us, we can also give you resources that way. Talking to your school counselors or teachers about home life, could provide you with great support.

Be safe, NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

I’m 14.
        I just came back from a visit with my mum and I told my dad and step-mum that I want to move there next year... there has been moments where I haven’t wanted to live with mum, but now I do...
        they just told me my dad has the right to say no and that they were disappointed in me...
        i already suffer from anxiety and I don’t want anything added onto that...
        what do I do?
        Last edited by ccsmod7; 04-22-2018, 09:25 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.

We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

I hate my father he emotionally abuses me makes me cry every day I’m there and I don’t have fun he favors my sister and every time I say something to him he yells at me for never coming out of my room

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed by your father. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help ( 1-800-422-4453) www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. If you would like to talk more in detail please contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

We hope this response was helpful! We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey.

NRS

My parents went through a divorce in which my father ended up with more custody because my mother was the one at fault for wanting to marry my now stepfather. When going through things, I stayed neutral and did not choose a side to who I wanted to live with. But now that I’m with my father more, I hate it. I only said I was neutral because I hadn’t met my stepfather and didn’t know what he was like. But now I see things as my mothers house a place of comfort and safety, and my father.... He plays mind games with me. He puts me on WiFi restrictions and says it’s the internet messing up, and he takes my phone to back it up to the computer in which he’s really going through my text messages. I have no privacy there, and I have to be a mother of my own to my little siblings by babysitting every day after school and other more random times. I long so badly to be at my moms house where I get a nice environment to grow up in instead of being depressed and scared with my dad. But he refuses to compromise with my mother and instead has become a dictator in a sense. He has security cameras in his house! But I’m only 13, and I live in Ohio where there is no law about being allowed to choose. How can I myself reach out to someone and get my opinion heard? I really really want to live with my mother.

Comment

• ccsmod5
          ccsmod5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey there, thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like you're in a really tough place living with your dad, and it's completely understandable that you would prefer to live with your mom. We're not legal experts, but we will do our best to help.

You mentioned feeling depression, and your dad's behavior and the lack of privacy you have at home could definitely be harmful to your mental health. It could be beneficial to talk to a mental heath counselor about all of this. It's a lot to deal with, and it can help so much to have a space where you can say whatever you think and have someone supportive to listen to you. We can help you look up mental health counselors in your area. You could also start by talking to your school counselor about what's going on at home. If you haven't already, it might be good to reach out to friends, since they care about you a lot and are your allies. We are also here to listen if you would like someone to talk to, either by phone or by chat. We are nonjudgmental, nondirective, and totally confidential.

If you think it's at all possible that your dad might improve his behavior and parenting skills, he could also try taking something like parenting classes. We could also have a conference call with both of you guys to help you communicate and understand one another. The hope would be that with a neutral third party mediator, you guys could come to some sort of compromise that would make life bearable for you. Just give us a call if you'd like to explore that option.

It would definitely be helpful to talk to a legal expert about your situation. That way, you can get professional answers to the questions that you have around your options for transferring more custody to your mom. If you give us a call, we can help you look for free/sliding scale legal aid resources in your area. We are available 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929.

Hopefully this helps a bit. Please don't hesitate to give us a call if you'd like to discuss any of these options further or want someone to talk to.

Best of luck,
          NRS

I don’t want to live with my father anymore for many reasons. He is blackmailing my sister and I that if we don’t do something he will move us schools and he also mentally abuses me. I feel like I’m starting to get depressed. My mom lives far away and I would not want to move schools because I had already moves schools about 8 times in 13 years. I want to live with my brother he is 27 and lives right across from my school but my father won’t let me. My brother treats me right and acts like a parent/best friend. I don’t know what to do please help

Comment

• ccsmod11
          ccsmod11 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you’re dealing with a lot between you and your dad right now and we’re happy you reached out to us for some help.

Firstly, we are sorry to hear you are being mentally abused by your dad. Abuse is never okay and never justified, no matter what trouble you may have been in. Your dad has no right to try to harm you. If you ever want to talk to someone about the mental abuse you’ve endured, please call us at 1-800-786-2929 to speak with someone confidentially.

We also understand that you’re depressed. If this is something you would like to receive professional help with, you can call us and we can also provide you with some mental health referrals to people near where you live.

We also understand that you would like to live with your brother who lives right across from your school, but that your father won’t let you. This is definitely upsetting. There are a couple of options you have. You could run away from home to your brother’s home, or you could try to get the courts to transfer custody over to your brother. Each of these options has its challenges, and we would be more than happy to talk with you on the phone about these challenges and how they may affect you given your situation. Please contact us to further explore this issue.

Hopefully this helped,
          NRS

I don't Want to Live With mt Dad anymore
        My dad Told me i can't communicate with my mom he take my phone away after talking to my mom and yelled at me for no reason
        i got depressed on him I told my mom i wan't to go to other place without dad he is good taking care of us but avoiding communication to other parent is not right
        i don't know what to to it make me feels like i want to kill my self..

Comment

• ccsmod5
          ccsmod5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey,
          Thanks for reaching out. It’s completely understandable that you would want to communicate with your mom and it must be really upsetting that your father is trying to prevent that from happening. While we aren’t legal experts, we can hopefully give you some options. You mentioned that the situation makes you want to kill yourself; this is concerning to us and we want to let you know there are options out there for you. If you ever feel like you are in danger of hurting yourself, you can always call 9-1-1 or the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.
          It sounds like you’re wanting to live with your mom instead of your dad. If your mom has partial custody of you, there is a possibility that you can move to stay with her. If your mom does not have custody of you, she might want to get in touch will a lawyer to file for custody of you.
          Thank you again for reaching out. We hope this was helpful and we encourage you to reach out by phone if you need additional resources or need help figuring out your options. Our number is 1-800-786-2929 and our lines are always open. If you have a moment, we'd appreciate your feedback of our crisis services at the following link:
          Stay safe!

hi im 16 and my parents are divorced and dislike one another but my dad still has yet to move out. i have to sleep in the same bed as my mother and my dad sleeps in my room and it’s so difficult, i hardly get any alone time at night & throughout the day, it’s just silent tension between my parents. im currently on summer vacation so with this set up, it makes me wish i did have school. my father is also a blue collar worker so that leaves my mother to be the breadwinner of the family with her career and my dad has always been accustomed to a nice, comfortable life where he hardly needs to support himself and after the divorce my mother has decided to stop paying for his things and leave him to support himself which he doesnt agree with, he’s been making a whole ordeal about money, asking for large quantities of it from my mother and doesnt want to pay child support, instead of taking initiative as an adult and work for himself. he tries to manipulate me to feel bad for him about the divorce and money constantly and it has lead me to have deep depression & suicidal thoughts because i love him and it’s hard to see someone you love struggle but i cant stand being around him or having him in our home with the way he treats and speaks to my mother (as well having the thought in mind that he also treated my half sister poorly in the past) and so disrespectfully after all she’s done for him and even during their marriage, he would’ve rather been around other women rather than his own wife. I do have an unconditional love for him but he needs to be an adult. i have already came across roommate applications where he is seeking to live with straight women but i honestly dont care with whom or where he lives, i just want him to leave and i dont know what to do or how to feel anymore as im watching the whole thing unfold. there have been many cases where the atomosphere of my home has completely made me an angry, infuriated person, which is far from my normal personality. any advice? this has truly been a struggle for me.

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear about all that has been going on and want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home. Do you feel like you can talk to your mom about how you are feeling about your dad and needing your personal space? It can be difficult to have a conversation with your mom if you're unsure how she will react. Sometimes it can be helpful to have another adult around when you’re trying to talk to your mom so that they can stand up for you and try to keep the conversation calm and fair. That person could be a guidance counselor, other family member, or any other adult you trust. Here at NRS, we also offer a conference call service and can help you have that conversation with your mom. We can be reached at 1-800-786-2929. Let us know if that is something you would be interested in.

We also want you to know that your life is valuable and that there are people that want to listen and help. Don't hesitate to reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 if you ever feel like you need help.

Stay safe,

NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
          [email protected] (Crisis Email)
          1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I currently am in a custody case with my mom and dad because me and my mom had a falling out but what mother and daughter don't I just needed some time and where all good now but my dad decided he was going to make a custody case but the real reason he did it was to stop the 200 dollar weekly child support my mother receives with that being said there are so many other reason I don't want to live with him one reason being that when I was littler my dad left me and wasn’t in my life through my life my dad has been to my schools 3 times in 4 schools I’m 14 going to 9th grade when I was littler my mom lost her job and times were rough we didn’t have food in the refrigerator so we went to my dad’s house and asked for food he gave me an oatmeal packet and a popsicle and closed the door I was 6 my 7th birthday my dad called me for the first time in months and said I’m going to take you out for your birthday so I got all dressed up with my princess tiara and all I was so excited to spend time with my daddy then after 30 minutes of wait in front of his building my dad comes down gives a balloon and goes back upstairs to his house I ask my mom can we wait and we wait hours I know because I asked to play in the park in front of his building and my mom sit and wait and from the time we got there the sun was put and the time we left it was dark and the moon was out I went home and cried myself to sleep I once saw him choke my mother too she doesn't know I saw it but I did he also drinks a lot and puts his alcohol in water bottles for it to not be noticed his girlfriend that he is living with is also violent she got arrested and fired from her job for assaulting her sons grandmother she rude to me sometimes my dad also is really controlling he picks put my clothes doesn’t let me go outside does even let me see my mother and grandmother sometimes I just really don't like being her and when I told him that he says he doesn't care that I’m GONNA LIVE WITH HIM NO MATTER WHAT ITS NOT AN OPTION and I just need help I miss my mommy and grandma I wanna live with my mom but she doesn’t want to go through the big custody battle but he does he says he doesn't care if it takes years that I’m gonna live him he doesn't care what the judge say he doesn’t care if he has to hire an attorney he want to make this hard and I just want to go with my mom next court date is August 15 please help me please
            Last edited by ccsmod4; 07-17-2018, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X