Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im 19, have a job and in college

All my life i have had problems with my step dad and my mother, always doubting me and telling me i can’t fulfill my dreams. They were never supporting parents and they know that themselves. This whole week we been screaming and arguing and last night my step father was telling me to leave the house. I always planned to leave but i never knew where to go because i have a job i enjoy and i go to college. If i stay in a shelter house would i still be able to go to my job and school? I want to know if there’s any shelter homes around my area at Lindenhurst,NY

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. We’re so sorry that home life has been so stressful for you, home should always be a peaceful safe place.

It sounds like your parents does not treat you very well. You never deserve to be talked down to or brought down. You do deserve all the opportunities for happiness. We are here to help in any way we can. A resource that is always available is, United Way, you just call 211. They are the local non-emergency number and have resources for cab vouchers, local shelters that have space, etc. There are also social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living (employment, school, etc.). They help youth work on their goals, while they're living there. There shouldn’t be a problem continuing to go to college if you’re in a shelter or a TLP. If you’re interested in finding out more about those programs, don’t hesitate to give us a call.

Hopefully, this resource will help you. If you’d like more help brainstorming other options, we’re always here! We are open, 24/7 if you needed us to try to find more resources!

Best, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X