No announcement yet.

I’m 17 and I know it’s not smart to run away but I’m on the edge.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I’m 17 and I know it’s not smart to run away but I’m on the edge.

    Hi I’m 17 years old and struggling with my parents. It’s been really bad these past few years. My mom is very controlling and I just want to be happy but its just she pressures me with school and she yells at me and I’m tired of being abused. My heart aches almost always and when she takes my phone away I’m very emotionally upset and wanting to die. The one thing keeping me here is my bf of 6 months. He’s opened my eyes and heart. And when things get rough and I can’t see him or text him I feel so deeply depressed. What do I do. I have no idea what to do

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and to support.

    We're sorry to hear about what you've been facing at home and want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home. We are not legal experts but once you are 18 you would considered a legal adult and would be able to leave your home and not live with your mom anymore. If you wanted to leave at 18 you could give us a call and we could look up possible living resources for you. If not, do you feel like you can talk to your mom about how you are feeling? It can be difficult to have a conversation with your mom if she’s unwilling to engage with you and only yells or gets angry. Sometimes it can be helpful to have another adult around when you’re trying to talk to your mom so that they can stand up for you and try to keep the conversation calm and fair. That person could be a guidance counselor, other family member, or any other adult you trust. Here at NRS, we also offer a conference call service and can help you have that conversation with your mom.

    Generally speaking, if you leave while still 17, your parents could file a runaway report and you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a minor. One thing you can do is reach out to your local police to inquire how they handle runaway reports for 17 year olds. Some cities and departments treat them differently because a 17 year old is so close to becoming a legal adult. The way to get the most accurate information would be to call your local police non-emergency number and anonymously inquire about their practices. If you need help finding this number or you want to walk through any of the options listed above with a liner, we can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

    Good luck,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp