No announcement yet.

Help me!

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help me!

    So my mom is always mad at me and we hardly interact. When we do it's fighting usually and I just hate the negativity. In my state (I am 15) the legal age for emancipation is 15. Also in my state if a child is old enough to become emancipated, the law can not stop me from running away. I can be filed as a runaway, but as long as I remain in my state I won't be forced to return home. I want to emancipate myself but I just don't know how. Is running away a better option?

  • #2
    re: Help me!

    Hey there,

    Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, it seems like you are going through a pretty tough time at this point in your life and we want you to know that we are here to listen and to help you in the best way that we can. From what you shared, it sounds like you are going through some pretty stressful times.

    Who else have you tried talk to about your situation? Sometimes being able to talk to someone like a school counselor, teacher, friends, or an adult you trust you are able to expand your options and see what you are able to do. It also sounds like you have done a lot of research on your end to try and see what you can do as a youth. That is very mature of you, it is also very mature that you have reached out to us and see what is available.

    We want to let you know that we are not legal experts, meaning that we are only able to speak generally about your situation and we are not able to confirm nor deny the information that you have shared with us. In most stated, because you are a minor, if a runaway report was filed, you would typically be forced to go back home. As I mentioned, we are not able to confirm nor deny the information that was shared with us, we also do not know what city and state you are in. If this is something that you are interested in knowing more about, you are always able to contact your local police department and ask some general questions.

    You mention that you are interested in emancipation but do not know where to start. If you are able to give us a call and ask more general questions about what emancipation is and how you are able to start that process, we would be more than happy to provide you with that information. We are also able to give you a number for legal aid where you would be able to contact them and know more about what you can do. We hope that we were able to give you some general information, remember that our lines are open 24/7 and our chat service is available from 4:30 PM to 11:30 PM CST. We wish you the best of luck in whatever it is that you decide to do and hope to hear from you soon.

    Stay strong,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp