No announcement yet.

I need advice.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I need advice.

    Hello, I didn’t want to post here but I really feel as if I have no other option. I am sixteen years old and I live in Alabama. For the past 7or eight years I have been living with my grandmother. My mother got arrested and my dad is out of the picture, so my grandmother was granted partial custody and now has full. Over the past three years I’ve had a lot go on emotionally and mentally and me and my grandmother no longer get along. We are constantly arguing and we can never get along. She makes me feel as if I’m a burden and as if I am a mess up. I want to move in with another family member who I know would let me in a heart beat. But my grandmother will not let me. No matter what happens she refuses to let me move out. I will be seventeen in November and so I’ll have to wait another year to be able to move out and I genuinely do not have enough emotional energy to go on living in this house. Is there anything I can do to get out of here? I have looked into emancipation but in Alabama I have no idea how to do it. I am so emotionally tired of all of this I don’t know how much longer I can handle it.
    Thank you

  • #2
    Hey there,

    Thanks for reaching out to us today about issues you’re having with your grandmother. We’re really sorry to hear that you and she do not get along anymore in light of reason emotional events you have endured. It sounds like you’re dealing with a lot, and you’re strong for making it through all of it. We hope we can help you out in what sounds like a quite difficult time.

    We’re glad you have another family member who is willing and able to support you. We encourage you to continue communicating with this relative about your situation so that they can continue to provide you with support as you need it. We also encourage you to reach out to us again through any of our platforms if you need support, referrals to resources, or information about a situation you’re going through. We can be reached 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929 or at [email protected].

    As far as your questions about emancipation in Alabama go, we are only able to provide you with general information, as we are not legal experts. However, from what we can find, it seems that the age of majority (the age at which you are no longer a minor and are considered free to leave your home) is 19, instead of 18, like it is in most of the U.S. As a result, the age at which a youth can be emancipated is 18. Emancipation is reserved for people who are 18 if they can prove their parents are not able to responsibly take care of a minor. Qualifying circumstances for emancipation include the parent abandoning the youth, abusing the youth, or being mentally ill enough to be unable to care for a youth. While it seems like there is a bit of time before you are eligible for emancipation, you can feel free to contact Legal Services of Alabama at 888-288-5434 to ask questions about emancipation/confirm the information we provided you. We encourage you to reach out to us again if you want to talk, especially if you come up with another plan for leaving home. We would be very happy to help you plan for your own safety.

    Thanks again for reaching out to us and don’t hesitate to contact us again.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif