X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need to get up and out of this house

hi,

im 15 years old and from new york. i lived there my whole life, never moved out, i’m used to the city life. all the bs started when i was in 9th grade, i got into some stupid ******** that kids around that age usually get to, smoking marijuana . i started smoking mainly out of curiosity, and it became something that i did minimally. i would always keep it outside of the house so my parents never really found out, but these new vapes got introduced to the streets and that’s where it went down hill. i started using them, got caught by my parents, and regret that so much because i know i hurt them and vaping in general is terrible for you. however, they didn’t let it go. they made me miserable for the next year and a half and threatened me that we were going to move. eventually, i started doing really dumb stuff, and ended up getting arrested for shop lifting. the police let me go, nothing on my record, but we ended up moving to new jersey. new jersey is literally boring, there’s nothing to do and my parents literally keep my trapped here. i moved from a very diverse and fun place to a boring white racist neighborhood. they don’t let me see anyone; the kids are nothing like me here, people are legitimately scared of me because i stood up to someone who i heard making racist comments at me. i also began doing really bad in school because my curriculum switched up since i moved mid year. the schools expect top tier work, and i’m not used to that at all. i got so stressed, i found a marijuana oil vape, which i got caught by my parents with . now they want to trap me even more, and i want to get out of this house as soon as poissible. i’ve tried running away before, but my mom found my money i was going to use for a train ride back to new york, where i was going to sleep at a friends house. i have no idea what to do, i’m depressed for sure, suicide is something that would never cross my mind, but i know i’m just going to have to deal with it until i’m 18 so i can leave my parents and never turn back to see them again. but if anyone has some suggestions, let me know... thanks

Hi,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us. It sounds like you’re dealing with a lot on your own and are looking for some support. It’s great that you’re taking that first step and asking for help. That’s not easy to do, especially when you feel stuck in an unfamiliar place.

You sound really self-aware and concerned about your well-being. That’s huge. It sounds like you’re concerned about your marijuana use, but it’s important to remember that you’re human and perfectly capable of making decisions that might not be in your best interest. Plenty of brilliant, successful people have experimented with drugs, particularly at a young age. The important thing to remember is that you’re still figuring out what’s best for your life, and that no one knows you better than yourself. You’re clearly looking out for your own best interests and that’s crucial.

It sounds like, on top of being in a boring place without your friend group, you’re having some trouble at home. It can be really hard to communicate with your parents, especially when you feel like they don’t understand what you’re going through. Here at NRS, we offer a conference call service that can help ensure a productive conversation between your parents and yourself. You’d establish the ground rules (e.g., no swearing, yelling, interrupting) and one of our liners would enforce those while you talk to your parents about what’s going on.

Also, feel free to contact our hotline anytime, 24/7, to talk with one of our liners about these issues or anything else that’s on your mind. We’re here to listen. Thanks again for reaching out.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X