No announcement yet.

Do both of your parents need to sign your emancipation papers in minnesota?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do both of your parents need to sign your emancipation papers in minnesota?

    I am 16 and I do not want to live with my parents anymore. If i get my dad, who i do not live with, to sign my papers is that good enough? I also have two jobs and i do good in school if that matters.

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It seems like there must be a lot going on in your life especially at home if you’re thinking about running away from home. It’s great that you were able to find out some information about our hotline. Hopefully we can help.

    It sounds like you are a very independent person already, having two jobs and doing well in school. If your dad is your legal guardian (the one who has custody over you), he can give you permission to live wherever you choose. However, only the parent who is your legal guardian can give you that permission. If you leave home, and your dad is not the custodial guardian, whoever does have custody of you, can make a runaway report on you. You can’t be arrested for running away and if the police come across you, as a runaway, they will just return you home. Since we’re not legal experts, we always offer to find legal aid resources for callers. IF you’d like to be connected to those resources, please don’t hesitate to call into our safeline.

    If you give us a call on our 24/7 fully confidential hotline, at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help answer some of those questions you have and could potentially help you brainstorm a solution to the issues you are having. We also have an online chat service available every night from 4:30-11:30PM CST that is available through our website ( if you don’t feel like calling in to talk on the phone.

    Best, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      hi i submitted emancipation papers which my parents signed and i am financially independent. do i have a good chance of being granted on my court date?


      • ccsmod3
        ccsmod3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi, thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you have been trying to get emancipated and that your parents have signed the papers for that, which is amazing. We cannot say for sure on the chances of it being granted as we are not legal experts. Your parents signing it is a huge things and that should definitely help your chances. If you would like to talk more about this and the possible anxieties you are having leading up to your court date, please call our hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat us online at We hope to hear from you soon.
        Be safe,
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp