No announcement yet.

Running Away At 18 + Legality Questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m 21 and a type 1 diabetic. My parents constantly shame me on my eating habits and I want to run. It doesn’t feel like they love me as much as my brother

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We are very sorry to hear that your parents are shaming you like that. You don't deserve to be put down for what you are dealing with, some of which may be outside your control.

It sounds like you want to leave home because of all that's going on there. Fortunately, at age 21, you would not be considered a runaway if you left home. However, we also understand that starting out on your own away from parents can still be a daunting task that may require some planning on your part. You don't have to face this alone, however. We are here to help, as well as other agencies that might be able to assist. Sometimes schools, libraries, and local housing assistance programs may be able to offer some help in getting started. Of course, if you need to find shelter, we can also assist with that. Sometimes there are also longer-term, transitional living programs for young adults around your age we could refer you to. We also have other resources that you may find helpful: counselors, legal aid, and the like.

The best way for us to assist would be for you to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us via the chat feature on our website: www.1800runaway.org. Even if you just want to talk about what you are dealing with, we are here for you.

Stay safe and good luck!

NRS
      Last edited by ccsmod15; 11-02-2020, 08:30 PM.

I’m 21, and turning 22 in March. I live in Maine, I’m in an emotionally abusive house & need to find a way out, I looked up some transitional independent living programs but they have a 21 age limit, I know it’s legal, but I’ve never left home before, especially when there’s a pandemic abrupt. I plan on calling New Beginnings in Lewiston Monday and seeing what they say, can you give me some tips on how to make this work? I want a small apartment, alone & with good support, but I don’t have any money & I don’t know how to drive.****** If you could point me in the right direction, it would be highly appreciated, thank you..
    Last edited by ccsmod13; 12-13-2020, 12:23 AM. Reason: Edited out email address.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at NRS and we appreciate you sharing your situation with us. Leaving can be a big step to take at any age and it sounds like you have already done some research to find supportive resources. The pandemic has been making it much more difficult for many of the young people who reach out to us to become financially independent.

Calling the resource you found is a great first step to take. You can see if you are eligible for their program and how they will be able to support you. If you call the our hotline or use our live chat service we can look to see if there are additional resources in your area. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave.

We are here to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or through live chat at 1800runaway.org if you would like to talk more about your plan or need additional resources.

Be safe and good luck!
      NRS

I’m 18 but want to run away but I have no where to go. What should I bring with my to run away?

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live.  We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.

i am a stepdad of mentaly ill son that ran away from home. hetakes medication that we just found in his room that he has not had in a few days what rights do i have as parents. we live in illiniois if that matters

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear about your situation, and hope we can help.
      If your son is a minor, you are able to report him as a runaway by calling your local nonemergency police line. If you need help finding this number, you can reach out to us at any time to provide your location information at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You might also consider calling the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) at 1-800-843-5678. This is a hotline staffed by people that can connect you with resources in your area, advocate on behalf of you with law enforcement, and investigate the situation with you further to understand your son’s whereabouts.
      You might check your son’s social media accounts, bank statements, and phone records, or brainstorm people he knows and places he goes.
      We hope this information is helpful to you. We know this is a scary moment. Help is out there. If you need any further information, we encourage you to call us at any time: We are always here for you. We can also transfer you directly to NCMEC.
      Good luck; stay safe and strong.
      Sincerely,
      NRS

what happens if ur 15 and ur boyfiend 21 and u run alway with him??????

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,

Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen.

We are not legal experts but because you are 15 and a minor your legal guardian can file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home. Also keep in mind that some states the age of consent is 16 or older so your boyfriend could possibly get in trouble. To find out the best answer you could call your local police department and ask.

Your safety is the top concern please call us to discuss more about your situation and have a safety plan. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support.
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X