No announcement yet.

Running Away At 18 + Legality Questions

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Hello , I am 17 will be 18 in 6 months I have a place too go I have a full time job make plenty too pay pills an care for myself only problem is my parents won’t let me leave when I’m 18 they said because I have seizures I can not go no where my girlfriend knows what too do with the situation when I have seizures she been there for me since I was 14 having seizures she was always the only one too know what too do not my parents how do I got about moving out when I’m 18.


    • ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.

  • #32
    I’m 18, and right now I’m run away from my house. I don’t know where to go, who can help me with it, I don’t know where to leave. And now I’m worried if my parents call the police, are they gonna be looking for me since I’m 18.


    • ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello, thank you for reaching to NRS.

      We are glad you were able to found us and asked for help. It sounds like you have been dealing with a lot and have been doing what you can to take care of yourself. Leaving home is a very difficult decision and you know what is best for you. Since you are 18 you are a legal adult in most states. This means you are not considered a runaway and can not be forced back home. The National Safe Place can help connect you with a youth shelter/agency to go to. All you have to do is text "safe" and your current location to 44357 to be provided with a safe place to go.

      We are here 24/7 to listen and help you any way you need. We can best be of help by phone (1-800-786-2929) or chat ( if you want to talk more about whats going on and explore options.

      We hope to hear from you soon,

  • #33
    Hi I’m 21 years old and I currently live in Alaska. I’ve been wanting to return to my boyfriend who currently lives in California. Because of my parents being strict with me on not wanting to date him. Which I think is foolish. If I run away with him now. Can my father who is currently a military veteran report me as a runaway person. And report my boyfriend?


    • ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

      Thanks so much for reaching out, we know that it takes a lot of courage to do so. Since you are 21 you are considered a legal adult and can leave and live where you'd like at any time. Your parents can contact the police and request that they perform a wellness check, which means that the police would come out to verify that you are not in any kind of life-threatening danger but they would leave you alone. Neither your parents nor the police can make you return home. If there is anything else that we can do to be of assistance, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage.

      Be safe,
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove