Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help me

my grandmother is always yelling at me and she doesn't do this anymore but she used to hit me and threaten to kill me with a knife. i have locked myself in the bathroom on the second floor of my home. i can't take this anymore, i want to runaway. i don't think i would last though because i have no where to go and i have horrible social anxiety. i'm only fourteen years of age. i don't know what to do..

re: please help me

Hello,

We are really glad you reached out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It is really great that you are searching for help and support. It is often really hard to reach out for help and to tell people your story, but we are glad that you did. Hopefully we can help you think through some of the possibilities and find a way to keep yourself safe and comfortable.

We are so sorry that you have had to deal with your grandmother yelling, physically hurting you, and threatening you. It is good that she has stopped hitting and threatening you, no one should have to go through that. It seems like you have tried to avoid these situations by staying in bathrooms. It can be really helpful for you to remove yourself from those situations and try and stay in a safer place. It may be an option to talk to an adult, friend, or family and see if you could spend some time with them when your grandmother seems to be yelling or hurting you. I know you mentioned that you have some social anxiety, and I can see how this may prevent you from reaching out to people for help. An option might be for you to talk to a school counselor or close friend who might understand your situation better. Sometimes talking with someone might help you feel better about this situation, or they may be able to help you decide what to do.

It seems like you do not want live at home with your grandmother anymore, but that you do not want to run away on your own. It may be helpful for you to call Child Help USA (1-800-422-4453). They may be able to offer any legal advice and help you think through how to find a safer place to live. You can also feel free to call our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929). You can talk to someone over the phone who can help you talk through your next steps.

Again, we are so sorry you are not feeling safe at home and feel like you have nowhere else to go. We encourage you to reach out to these resources and hopefully they can help you work through this situation. We really wish you the best of luck!

Stay strong,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X