No announcement yet.

I can't stand being with my mom anymore!

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I can't stand being with my mom anymore!

    Ok, I'm 14 years old and I can't stand my I'm a good kid, I don't drink or do anything like that. I'm an intelligent girl, I can admit that. I know that running away isn't a good idea, and all the bad outcomes from it. Let me get this strait, I don't want to run away, but I don't feel like I have another option. I have no friends or family members to go to, and no money for a hotel. My mother makes me want to die sometimes, one times I had to go to the hospital because I was threatening to kill myself because of her. She verbally abuses me everyday of my life, and says I'm mean to her. I always ask her politely to stop and to leave me alone. It's as if picking fights is her job. I suffer with depression because of how she treats me (don't worry, that part of me where I wanted to die is gone, and I'm currently emotionally stable.) I just can't make me leave me alone, I've tried everything for years. I really don't want to have to live in the forest with a very very low chance of even surviving but I can't stand her that much that if she pushes me off the edge, I may have to do it. I just, want her to leave me alone.

  • #2
    Re: I can't stand being with my mom anymore!

    Since you are 14, your mother is still your legal guardian. Typically, minors do are not able to leave home until they reach the age of majority, which is 18 in most states. Have you considered filing an abuse report? These reports are confidential. This may help more people know about her treatment, which you definitely do not reserve to receive. To learn more about the process of filing one, see the link below or call the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453):

    Aside from this, have you ever considered using someone from your school as a resource? You mentioned that you didn’t have any other adults in your life. Since you do not have any other relatives or adults in your life around, has anyone at school such as a social worker or teacher been a resource for you?

    It looks like you have tried a lot of strategies already to deal with your mom. We would love to explore more options with you. Please do not hesitate to call or chat with us. We could talk to you more about any plan that you have. We can also walk you through filing an abuse report or looking for alternative housing options.

    We wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon!

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      Help, I am 13 years old and I want to live with someone else all my mom ever does is say no and makes me want to kill myself which no one should ever feel. I think she used to abuse me but i don’t know for sure because i never told anybody, and literally all i want to do it live with someone else! I could be having the best day ever and my mom will somehow ruin it and i dont know what to do... please help me. I don’t want to talk to her about this because i think she will physically hurt herself i do have other family and friends that will be glad to take me with them but i don’t know how to get to them! My dad isn’t in the picture because he sadly passed away many years ago.


      • ccsmod9
        ccsmod9 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for contacting NRS we appreciate that you have reached out to us. We are sorry you are going through such a difficult situation. You do not deserve to be put through that. From what we can tell you are looking to get out of the situation you are in. The options available to you are you could give us a call and we would be happy to report the abuse to CPS alongside you. That way it doesn’t seem so scary. Another thing you can do is to call Child Help which is another organization that specializes in reporting and helping abused youth. Their number is (800) 422-4453 and you can feel free to call them and get the help you need. We know how hard it can be to reach out for help, so again thank you for contacting us! If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chatting with us at We are here to support and help you create a safe plan. We wish you the best of luck!

    • #4
      I’m 18 living with my mom I just want to live on my own and do my own thing she never wants to clean behind her self and makes me do all the work we had a discussion about it but there’s no change and I constantly get disrespected.


      • ccsmod5
        ccsmod5 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

        Thank you for reaching out, we hope to help as best we can. It sounds like it’s been pretty tough living with your mom, we’re sorry you’ve had to deal with this treatment. Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live.
        We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave.
        There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.

        Stay strong,

    • #5
      Hi, I’m 18 and I struggle with anxiety. My mom knows i struggle with anxiety and gaslights me when i cry or have a panic attack. I can’t move out yet bc i am still waiting on my social security card to get here so i can get a job and become financially stable. My popop always tells me to suck my emotions up and keep my feelings to myself and i’m trying but at this point my mom and i just need space before our relationship gets worst. what should i do?


      • ccsmod9
        ccsmod9 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for contacting us here at NRS,
        It sounds very much like you are struggling to feel safer at home with your anxiety being triggered by your mom. We are sorry to hear that she gaslights you and is not able to better support you when you do have anxiety. Perhaps some options are to find people you can rely on when you are anxious like a significant other or even a good friend. Where if you know you need to talk you can seek them out or call them so they can help get you through it. Another thing might be to try to ask other family members to support you. While it may seem long it is not forever and soon enough you'll have some space away from it all.

        If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
        We hope to hear from you soon.

        Be safe and stay strong,
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp