• Show
Clear All

• lost of questions needing anwers

1.if i run away can my parents track me down with my SS
    2.can i attend school if i run away
    3.if i live in different state then i started in can i still be sent back
    4.can i get emancipated at 14
    5. where is the best palace to go small town big city etc

Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand that it takes a great deal of courage to seek help. We are not legal experts so we cannot say for sure if your parents could track you down with your SS. Most schools require guardian's to enroll children in school, however the McKinney-Vento act allows homeless youth to attend school without consent. If you would like to know more about the McKinney-Vento act, you could contact (1-800-308-2145). If you decide to runaway from home, your parents have the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home. Runaway reports are nation wide so even if you went to another state, you could still be returned home. Running away is not illegal but if you decide to leave to stay with a friend they could get in trouble for harboring a runaway. In most states, you have to be at least 16 before you can be emancipated. We cannot say where the best place to go would be, you have to decide which place would be best for you. Having a plan about where you would go, and how you would take care of yourself is important. If you do decide to runaway from home and need a safe place to stay, we could look up local resources for you. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey:
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove