No announcement yet.

Road trip

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Road trip

    Hello, I have some questions I would like to ask and I need of answers. I am 20 years old and still living with my mom. I want to move out, but my father is EXTREMELY protective and suffocating. Over this summer, I was thinking of going on a road trip with my cousins, could my dad legally stop me from doing so? He use to say if I did anything bad he’d take me to court for being “incompetent”, but I’m not incompetent. I’m actually able to learn and I don’t need help doing things. I’ve always been afraid to do my own thing, because he always freaks out. But since I’m 20, can my dad legally stop me from going on that road trip or move out of state? (I live in Michigan, I’m gonna be moving to Texas next year.)

  • #2
    Hi there, thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are having some trouble with your parents and need some legal information.

    As a 20 year old, you are a legal adult and are allowed to make your own decisions about where you live and what you do. That said, you are legally allowed to go on a road trip with your cousins, and even move out of state, even though your Dad doesn’t want you to.

    However, it sounds like your Dad being protective of you has made your relationship a bit more difficult. If you were interested, we have a conference call service where we can talk with youth and their parents together on the phone. Some people find this as a helpful opportunity to tell someone how they are feeling and what they are struggling with, with someone else on the phone to be an advocate. If you were interested in trying this, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

    We hope this information has been helpful. If you would like to talk more about what you are going through, please give us a call. Good luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    • #3
      The call won’t be necessary, but thank you. My mom has given me more freedom, but my dad is very over protective. It’s been difficult to really do anything. Am I able to move away, even though I get social security? He thinks that because I get it that means I’m not able to take care of myself, which is extremely annoying.


      • ccsmod5
        ccsmod5 commented
        Editing a comment
        HI, thanks for reaching out again. We aren't legal experts, but to our knowledge you should be able to leave your home whenever you like unless your parents have extended guardianship of you. Beyond this, you might need to speak more specifically about the situation with a lawyer. Please feel free to reach out to us at 1-800-786-2929 if you'd like to talk more about the situation. Thank you for reaching out again and we encourage you to give your honest feedback of our forum resource at
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif