Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requesting aid

Greetings moderators of this site. I have come to ask of your opinion of my situation. I apologize if I rant on something slightly unfocused on the forum but I will try not to.

Currently I plan on departing from my current home. I am unfit to be raised in it. My mother said she doesn't raise quitters, which I just quit my job after being forced into it. They keep shoving me into places I don't want to go because it "Opens doors to the future". Yes I do believe that and can see it but it hurts me to do the tasks. I have all sorts of possible emotional problems which remain unmentioned because I fear that they will judge me, by hand and by word. How they have put much effort into creating and raising me, then I tear it down by being weak or something along that line.
    There is more to mention which may be answered in a response to your list of questions. I came here because you seem to talk with a sense of indesiciveness about telling the minor to run or not. A yes and no.
    I am almost here to say "I am leaving tonight, what is your opinion?"
    And to answer it now since you have likely asked previously. I am prepared to depart, holding resources to keep me alive as long as I want.
    Also, me being a minor with a pure and clean record. What happens to me if I am found, (I am in Washington).
    Also a friend I have mentioned this to worries about my safety. I am bringing a mace and a 5' sword as protection. What is your opinion on it?

RE: Requesting aid

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It seems that there is a lot of pressure at home to work different jobs for future opportunities. But from what you shared it also sounds like there is an inner struggle that you have that your parents are unaware of. From what we gathered, it sounds like you are concerned with how your parents will perceive you if you tell them how you really feel. More so, it sounds like you don’t want them to think of you as being weak as you stated. We cannot even begin to imagine how painful it must be for you to go through this. We are here for you and want to help as best as we are able. There are a couple things you mentioned that we will try to address.

To address your concern about what would happen if found, we can only speak generally as we are not legal experts. Because you are a minor, if you were to leave home and the police found you, they may return you back home. Each situation varies, but in most instances if a minor is found, the police generally try to return a minor home or to the next best place that is safe- another family member or elsewhere. Running away is not a criminal offense but a status offense meaning you cannot leave home as a minor. If you were to stay with someone other than your legal guardian(s), any individual involved may potentially face legal issues due to harboring a runaway. For specifics on what would happen in the state of Washington, it may be best to contact your local non-emergency police department to ask about how law enforcement handles runaway cases. Each city and county may vary in the way they respond to runaway cases. We are unable to give opinions or any suggestions about leaving or what is the best thing to do. It may be helpful to talk to someone about everything that is going on and to get some help to work through the current struggles. We can be that support to you if you'd like. We can also help identify other supports to help you get through this tough time.

Oftentimes there can be miscommunication in a home between youth and their parents, and we are wondering if that may be the case for you. A solution to the miscommunication may be to simply communicate about it and find ways to make home life better. What do you think could be improved upon at home? How do you think home life could be better? Some important things to ask yourself before you make a decision to leave are:
    • Do I have a place to stay?
    • What about school? Would I continue to get an education?
    • Am I going to be gone awhile or coming back in a few days?
    • What would I do for money? Shelter? Food? Transportation?
    • Who can I depend on if I leave home?
    • Do I have a safe, solid plan?
    • What is my plan b in case my first plan doesn’t work?
    • What have I done to make things better at home?
    • What can I do to make things better at home?
    • Who have I reached out to make things better at home?

If you would like to talk more about what you are going through as well as explore some options that are safe and best for you, please consider calling our toll-free, 24/7 crisis line at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

We hope to hear from you soon. Please be safe and we wish you well.

Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X