Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I do??

I don't feel comfortable at home. I feel so much peer pressure from my parents especially my mom. Who is beyond controlling of whatever I do, in my opinion. I have had some of my closest friends agree with me. I don't look forward to coming home from school anymore because I know every time I do, I have to deal with a long lecture like discussion. Often discussing my grades that are all A's and 1 C (which is in college algebra) and how I need to step up my game because she see's them falling. She constantly crabs about my boyfriend when she never did last year until this year and has progressed to get worse. Where now the only time I get to use my phone and be able to get in contact with him or any of my friends is during school and the weekends when I'm not doing homework. When I'm at home I am forced to leave my phone in the hall. I am so frustrated with what to do. I feel like I'm being shoved around beyond my wits and everytime I try to stand up for myself, I get told to knock off my attitude. With that I get confused cause your parents typically tell you to stand up for yourself but I feel like I get shot down with my constant efforts.

Hey,
    Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you’re in a pretty frustrating situation. It takes a lot a of courage to try and stand up for yourself, and it’s not okay that your parents shoot down your efforts. It sounds like your parent’s expectations are making you feel stifled and it makes sense that you’d want to remove yourself from that situation. One option you might consider is trying to have a conversation with your parents about how they’ve been making you feel and what would make you feel most supported. It can be helpful to have another adult around while you have that conversation, like a therapist or a guidance counselor. Here at NRS, we can also do a conference call with your parents and try to advocate for you. Another option is to stay with a friend or another family member. If you are a minor, you would need permission from your family, though; otherwise, your family would have the right to file a runaway report and if the police are able to locate you, they would return you home.
    Thank you again for reaching out. You sound like a strong and intelligent young person, and we hope that you found this information helpful. We encourage you to give your honest feedback of our services at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think . Please also feel free to give us a call any time at 1-800-786-2929. We’d be happy to listen and help you figure out your next steps. We wish you the best of luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X