Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asian Family Overreaction

I have a mother who has the tendency to be unknowingly verbally abusive and sometimes physically abusive. I have a father who does not seem to have enough empathy to be about mine or my brothers feeling. Both parents are rarely at home and when they are, their mind isn't really there and the first things they would ask me is "how is your class?" or "are you doing well in class?" They do not have a lot of respect for my decisions as an adult and if I ever slightly disobey their rules, it is an automatic punishment. Whether that punishment is taking away my car keys or my phone. Thier reaction to me slightly bending the rules to my comfort will result in a verbal abuse and my privileges taken away from me. Thier rules in the house are absurd and their expectations of me are too high. In high school, I use to come home extremely depressed and frustrated because no matter what I ever do it is never enough to make my parents happy. They are manipulative and overprotective of me, that it got to a point where my mother would track my car wherever it would go and if I ended up in an area where I have not tell them about, my mother would freak out and start spam call my phone until I would answer. I am extremely happy in my house and have been for quite a long time now. My standards are not respected and I have to do abide by their extreme rules like "don't have a boyfriend until you have a college degree," "don't go out with a friend," and my mother even said, "stay at home all the time, don't make any friends in college." They hover over how I'm doing in college and deprive me of my own set of happiness. I have anxiety because they shove their anxiety down my throat. I wake up feeling afraid and panicked of the outcome of a minor disobedience I committed. Homes are supposed to be a safe place to be, but sometimes I come home and I'm afraid. My parents use their life experiences to tell me how much better they were than I was as a child, they would say things like "when I was a little girl I use to wake for miles to get to my school. I feel deprived of my freedom because my every move is tracked by my mother and my father has no empathy toward how I feel and a lot of the times, he's a hypocrite. I don't know what to do because all I want is to live a life because I am young. However, at the same times, I need to keep my parents happy because they raised me. I am current;y trying to running away from home.

Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We are very sorry to hear how your parents are treating you. It must be very frustrating to feel respected at home. In most states, you are considered an adult if you are over the 18. Adults have the right to leave home without their parent's permission and wouldn't be considered as a runaway. You could try asking other family members or friends if the would allow you to stay with them until you can afford to live on your own. Please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat if you have any questions or just need to talk.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X