Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning 18 While Gone?

Hello, I just turned 16 in December and my girlfriend is turning 18 in September. We have been together for about three and a half months. We live few towns over (hour and some change), we met online. She’s also very busy and her parents are difficult sometimes, so we haven’t been able to see each other that often (3 times). One time we met at the mall in her town, and the other two I went to her house. Those were the three best days ever. We still facetime literally every night into morning (she’s asleep right now, she’s beautiful when she sleeps). We love each other more than anything and always tell each other everything, even if it might upset the other. We always make each other smile if we’re upset, and help calm each other down if we’re angry. We are both happiest when we’re with each other. All of our parents are very mean and hurtful. We don’t like our parents very much at all. Every single one of our parental figures have hurt us significantly, both over time and in moment. We do know that our parents love us, but they have just put us through a lot of pain. We can’t stand to be with them anymore. My girlfriend has a lot of anxiety, she also has low self-esteem and is scared she isn’t good enough. She of course doesn’t deserve any of this because she she spectacular and beautiful inside and out. I also have a little anxiety and very low self-esteem. I have an anger problem, and I get very depressed and sometimes suicidal. I am diagnosed with PTSD. (And others). She does her best to support and help me, and she does well. I have a lot of trauma with women, and she is careful and supportive. I also have a drug(s) problem. I am very scared I am a bad influence on her, though I try my best to do better and stay clean for her. Though she doesn’t break any major rules and doesn’t really get in trouble. I have gotten in aloof of trouble. We plan on leaving very soon and waiting until we are both 18. We will figure out things from there. What would happen if we were gone and both turned 18 then returned? How would I get the things I need (legal documents, etc.) if I do or don’t go back? How long and far would they search? Thank you.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 02-17-2018, 04:44 AM.

Reply: Turning 18 While Gone?

Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
    It seems there is a lot that both you and your girlfriend are faced with right now and you’re wanting to find a way to help them. One way you think might be an option is to leave when you both turn 18.
    Once the two of you are 18 then you are looked at as legal adults.
    Obtaining documents such as Social Security cards or birth certificates would be best discovered by contacting state offices in your area.
    You might consider searching online for information on getting copies of the documents that you might want copies of. Below are links to obtain a copy of your Social Security card and Birth certificates.

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/3401...ty-number-card
    https://www.vitalrecordsonline.com/b...gaAhCyEALw_wcB

It’s really nice that you both support each other emotionally. The concern you especially show for your girlfriend hopefully is of some comfort to her during this difficult time.
    As it is difficult for you as well.
    You expressed that you both are battling some pretty serious issues with anxiety, low self- esteem and drugs and PTSD. You mentioned that you have had bouts with depression and suicidal thoughts.
    You are concerned you might be a bad influence on her.
    Nevertheless you have continued to try and stay clean for her but it’s also important that you do this for yourself. It’s really good that you acknowledge that you have issues but trying to cope.
    Good for you. It sounds like she is supportive of your will to stay clean. Good for you both.

There may be supportive services in your area or online that you both may consider looking into for help.
    If you would like to locate referrals for support services such as counseling etc. NRS is here to listen and here to help.
    Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of.
    We are here as support to help you and your friend through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Again let us know how we might help.
    We hope that this information is helpful to you! We’d love to hear what you think about your experience with the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). If you have a moment, please click the link below our signature line to fill out a quick survey.

Take care,
    NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 02-17-2018, 04:52 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X