No announcement yet.

controlling parents

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• controlling parents

i’m 20, turning 21 in july and i still live with my parents. not by choice- and before i get the standard “get a job and move out” the jobs in my area are limited and require a degree that i have yet to finish. I want to move out because my parents are CONTROLLING, have a curfew set in place, and don’t let me do anything. I haven’t done anything to lose their trust, so I don’t get why I’m still being treated like a middle schooler. I’ve considered running away but funds are very limited and I wouldn’t be able to do anything while on the road. I hate living with them, and even my younger brother is encouraging me to leave. I’ve never had a social life because I’ve been cut off as a young child- never had sleepovers, joined sports, gone to camp like normal kids do. I have no one to turn to as my entire family does not approve of living alone before marriage, so I’m stressing just a little. any advice would be appreciated.

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and to support.

It sounds like you are in a really tough situation so we are glad that you reached out to us today. If you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could talk you through other options you would have to get out of the house while also finding employment help. Some options would be looking into programs like Job Corps or AmeriCorps where they provide housing, food and a stipend and you can explore the country with other people your age. Another option wold be looking into a Transitional Living Program (TLP) in your area or another place you would want to live. They provide housing and often other resources like employment aid and counseling. If you give us a call we would be ale to look up those programs for you.

Let us know how we can best help and good luck,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X