No announcement yet.

Want to move out

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Want to move out

    Hi. I'm 16 and I know the laws about emancipation, but I need an actual answer. My family life sucks. I've been through many foster homes, a residential treatment center ( my parents think I'm evil

  • #2
    Hey there,
    Thanks for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you are not happy with your current living arrangements and you are ready to make an informed change. We are here to help you in any way we can.
    It sounds like you have been through many different living situations. That must be very difficult to deal with, having to adjust to new family rules or rules of a treatment center. You mentioned emancipation as a way to take control of your life. Emancipation laws vary by state, but something we like all of our callers to know is that emancipation is unfortunately a long and expensive process. If you feel as though you have the time and funds to put towards that, it can certainly be an option to you. If you would like to continue to explore this option and determine what the laws are in your particular state, feel free to give us a call here at NRS at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).
    Something else that varies by state is the age of majority, or what age you are considered to be a legal adult. Once you have reached that age, you are free to live independently of your parents without need for emancipation. You can find out what certain rules are in your state on the following website:
    If you feel as though you don’t have the funds for emancipation and your state’s age of majority is too far in the future to continue living in your current situation, we are happy to talk through some other options with you. A service that we offer that may be of interest to you is a conference calling service. If you feel as though you have the means to live independently but do not want to enter into the legal process of emancipation, perhaps we could come to a compromise with your parents. It must be difficult to have a productive conversation with them, especially if you said they think you’re evil. That would be tough to have conversation with someone who you think feels that way about you. On our conference service, we would be on the line as an extra support to you and to keep the conversation positive and productive.
    If you would like to use this service or talk about some other options, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are completely confidential, toll-free, and available 24/7. Here to listen, here to help.
    Best of luck,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      Thank you for your reply! Is there a possibility that I could petition to emancipate, but tell them I love any to live with a friend while I get a job, then when I have enough money, to move out on my own?


      • ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello there, thanks for reaching back out.

        It helps to have a plan for how you are going to support yourself when applying for emancipation that is something the judge wants to see. It all just depends on your state's emancipation law, the local court's emancipation procedure, and whether the judge thinks it is in your best interest to become a legal adult before getting a job and becoming financially self-sufficient. Generally, when petitioning you might need to provide proof of income through past paychecks or bank statements then, so unfortunately you might not be able to file a petition without any income already.

        If you call or chat us we can look up your state's emancipation law, provide legal aid resources, and continue to explore your options.

        Best of luck,

    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp