Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 and cant deal with this anymore

I'm ready to run away, obviously. the thing is I know my grandparents (who i live with) will hunt me down looking for me if i do. I'm fed up with how they treat me. every time something goes wrong, i am immediately blamed and yelled at. even if i did nothing. My parents live in New jersey, and i live in New York so i cant go to them. and i certainty cant go to my aunts because she one is living with us now and she can barely afford her own teens. I've tried talking with my grandparents since i knew how to reason with them. i still would want to go to my school but i know if i do my grandparents will just force me to come home. and since i legally cant live on till im 16, which is 8 months away about. i dont think ill be able to make it that long. i just want to get out of this hell hole.

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and to support.

It sounds like you have been going through a hard time with your grandparents for quite some time. And we want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and cared for in your home. We are not legal experts, but it is true that if you run away and your grandparents file a runaway report, you could be returned home. There could also be consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a runaway. It can be difficult to have a conversation with your grandparents if they are unwilling to engage with you and only yell or get angry. Sometimes it can be helpful to have another adult around when you’re trying to talk to them so that they can stand up for you and try to keep the conversation calm and fair. That person could be a guidance counselor, family friend, or any other adult you trust. Here at NRS, we also offer a conference call service and can help you have that conversation with them. Our number is 1-800-786-2929. You can call us 24/7. Let us know if you think that would help.

Do you have any other family or someone at school like a counselor or teacher that you trust that you think you can turn to during this difficult time? Are there things you can do to stay out of the house as much as you can like after school activities? If you give us a call, a liner can also action plan with you some options you may have to help you with your situation.

Let us know how we can best help,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Please help!!!!

I'm 16 years old girl and I have a lot of family issues. I feel that my dad and mom doesn't care about me and how I feel and my mom likes my dad more then me. My parents everyday have sex when they go to bed and I have no one that can care for me. I have two older siblings and they don't bother to ask me if I'm okay. Even my dad smokes weed and my mom does nothing about it and don't care about how I feel about him smoking. I used to cut myself and thinking about suicide a lot and running away. I was thinking to go to my friends house to run away and Is it okay to run away? I live in Connecticut and I'm scared to run away because I think that I can get arrested, killed, or kidnapped. I would like to run away but I want to know if it's okay. I been depressed for 4 months and I hope you get this message. I would appreciate it if you would reply to me because I didn't have the chance to.

Comment

• ccsmod6
        ccsmod6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there, thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are going through a lot and we are here to listen to you and see how we can help.
        First off, know that your life has value. If you are ever feeling like cutting yourself or are thinking about suicide, know that there are people you can talk to that can help you feel better. There are people available to talk to you 24/7 at our hotline if you call 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). You can also call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.
        You also mentioned thinking about running away. We won’t tell you whether to run away or not since you probably know your situation better that we do, but we can give you some information that might help you make that decision. First off, running away is not illegal, so you cannot get arrested for it. Running away is a status offense, meaning your parents can report you as a runaway to the police, and the police will take you back home when they find you. If you ran away to a friend’s house, there is also the possibility that they could be charged with harboring a runaway, if your parents or the police wanted to press charges.
        You bring up another good point about running away – it can sometimes be dangerous, especially if you are staying with someone you don’t know well who may not be safe. If you do decide to run away, we can help you find a safe place to stay. If you call us, we can refer you to different shelters or transitional living programs in your area.
        Being depressed can be pretty difficult, especially when you live in a place where you do not feel comfortable. Know that there are things you can do that might help you feel less depressed. Talking with a school counselor or therapist can be helpful, as well as talking with friends or hotline workers like us. There is a hotline specifically for mental health called SAMHSA (1-877-726-4727).
        We hope this information is helpful for you. Please do reach out if you have any questions or just want to talk. Wishing you the best of luck.

I need to leave my house, i get bullied, tortured, attacked, ice water thrown at me in my sleep, slapped, kicked, bitten, blackmailed, I'm not allowed social media, a phone, a laptop 1 hour a week at the library for homework. This is all by my dad. My mum is an angel and she deserves sooo much better then this, I love her so much so I can't leave as my dad will hurt her. I can't even talk to my dad, he just hits me or ignores me, I want to die but am too scared to do that. I no longer eat as I am body-shamed even though I am very skinny. My dad needs to be stopped, if there was no law I would kill him in a heartbeat but I am considering killing him and going to jail in order for my mum to be free of him.

Comment

Hi I'm 15 and considering getting emancipated due to the fact that my parents could careless about me. My aunt is willing to take me in and care for me but I 'm scared that after I leave my parents won't let me be a part of my younger siblings lives. I have a tight relationship with all but one of my siblings and I'm afraid me leaving will make my parents hate me more then they already do. I love my family, I just have to start thinking about myself first. I'm starting to do what is right for me and I'm scared to leave do to what might happen after. I just need help.
        Last edited by ccsmod4; 02-03-2018, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Reply:Hi I'm 15 and considering getting emancipated

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline!

It sounds like you and your family have been going through a lot and it was very brave of you to reach out for help. It sounds like you are working hard to take good care of yourself and make sure you are in a good place. That can be a very challenging decision and it sounds like you have been very responsible in considering your options. Good for you. Perhaps you might consider talking to your parents about how you have been feeling. It may give you a chance to bring up the possibility for emancipation.
          If you are not comfortable with talking with your parents on your own, is there anyone you trust to help mediate a conversation like that with your parents?
          That person could also be someone like a school counselor or social worker.
          Your consideration for the feelings of your parents and sibblings are honorable. It sounds like you just would like to be in a better situation and a better place emotionally.

It's a difficult choice no doubt. We understand and want you to know NRS is here to support you.
          NRS is here to listen and here to help so if you would like to speak more about your situation or explore some more options, please contact 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org (live chat).

We wish you the best.

Take care,
          NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
          [email protected] (Crisis Email)
          1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
          https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
          x
          x
          Working...
          X