No announcement yet.

some law questions.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • some law questions.

    I'm 16 and have a baby. I decided today that I was gonna live with my boyfriend so we could both be with our baby at the same time instead of taking turns with the baby. My mom gave me the desicion to either stay with her or live with my boyfriend and she was fine with me living with him. She called the police department, (I live in Texas) asking if I would still be considered a run away, even though she gave me permission, and they said yes because I'm still a minor and I'm her responsibility. Is that true? I've read up on some sites and I read otherwise. Also, they asked how old we both were and right now he is 17 and I got pregnant when I was 15, he was still 17. is that considered statutory rape? They said it was but I had also read otherwise on some sites.

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for reaching out to the national Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to support.

    It sounds like you are looking to make your situation better for yourself but have questions about the legality of leaving. We are not legal experts but we can speak generally. Most often we would encourage people to reach out to their local police to find the answers that they would need about leaving as minors. If you wanted to get a second opinion about whether you can leave if she gives you permission, you could get help from legal aid in your area. If you gave us a call a 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could look up legal aid in your area. Generally speaking, if your mother gives you permission to leave and she doesn't file a runaway report, the police would not have a reason to locate you and return you home. But it is true that she still has responsibility and custody over you until you are 18. But once again, we aren't legal experts and every department handles these situations differently, so I would keep reaching out to them directly or to legal aid to get the answers that you need.

    It also looks like the legal age of consent is 17 in the state of Texas. You can look up more about your state's consent laws at

    Don't hesitate to give us a call if you have questions about any of this or want help going through your options with someone.

    Good luck,


    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp