Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m 17 and my mom is taking me away with her but I don’t want to move

Please help me. I had to move in with my grandparents in Chattanooga because of my mom and abusive stepdads divorce. My mom is now trying to force me to move with her. I. Do. Not. Want. To. Go. I’m about to get my first job and I own a car. I’m 17, is there anything I can do..?

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. We’re sorry that you’re in this tough situation, especially because it seems that you have your life very much in place at your grandparents.

Is your mom your only legal guardian? If so, unfortunately she really is the one that can decide where you live until you turn 18... However, even if she’s trying to force you to move in with her, do you think she might be less forceful if you were to have a thorough conversation and explain your situation, possibly with someone else there with you guys? Meaning, you invite another adult to be present when you talk to you mom, to help keep things neutral and help her see things from your perspective. It could be a relative, someone from church, a friend of hers – as long as it’s someone you trust and whom she respects. How does that sound?

We are also available to mediate a conversation: you can call us at 1-800-runaway at any time, we’ll call and conference her in, and help keep things objective while you guys agree to some compromise. Sometimes emancipation is another alternative in these situations, even though it’s a lengthy process; but unfortunately, in Tennessee there are no rules for emancipation.

Hopefully one of these ideas can work, and you can convince your mom to let you stay with your grandparents – maybe agreeing to keep in touch, “report back” often or similar. Please let us know if we can help out: we’re here for you, ok?

Meanwhile, hope you can stay strong.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X