Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Mother is... just read

Hi, I'm 15, and I've packed to run away.
    I want to give it a few days before I do, because I don't want to hurt my mom. I love her, but at the same time i hate just the sight of her. She's gotten me into two abusive situations and i blame her for a lot. She Uses me and my friends as slave labor, and I don't mean that in the typical teenage way, where kids just don't want to do chores. She talks total trash to me and I have grown to become suicidal. I would never do it, but sometimes i just feel like it would be the only way to get out. I'm about to finish high school, and when i do i plan on living as far from her as possible. But until then I don't know. I don't want to stay here. My room feels uncomfortable. I hate myself because she makes me feel like garbage, and when I tell her that she breaks down. I have a plan for when I leave, and i know that if she doesn't chang then i will. i just want to know if there's another way. I feel I've tried everything.

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We really appreciate you sharing with us a little bit about what is going on. It seems like you are in a difficult situation that can seem that you have little options.
    You have already been really brave with already talking to your mother about how she makes you feel. It is unfortunate that that conversations haven’t been productive in creating a space at home where you feel comfortable. It seems unfair how she has been treating you and your friends. It may be productive to have a conversation with your mother where someone is there to support you through it. Someone that you and your mother trust. One options is looking into counseling resources and seeing if that can help you express your needs and have an outside perspective. If you are interested in this, you can look into local resources by either speaking with your counselor at your school or going to samhsa.gov (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration).

Your mental health is important and if you ever do ever seriously consider suicide please reach out for support at the National Suicide Prevention Hotline (1-800-273-8255)/911 or reach out to us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

It can be difficult to live in a space you are uncomfortable with , but it also can be good to think about what the spaces where you runaway away to might look like. Are there things that you do that help you get through the day and help you feel better? If you decided to runaway, we want to make sure that you are safe. It can be good to think about where you would go, how you would survive, and how you might continuing school. Running away isn’t illegal, only a status offense, but if your mother files a police report and the police find you, they most likely would return you home to her. Also, be aware that people that house you could potentially be charged with harboring a runaway. This would have to be charged from your mother directly. Please feel free to reach out to us if you are in need of resources or want to talk further about your situation. Stay strong and be safe!

-NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X